Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Budget engine work, advice please!

Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Arrow Budget engine work, advice please!

So my 02 WRX looks to be having some issues (low compression / head gasket / high miles (~160k) / etc). So I've been going around getting estimates and opinions on how to approach this. My options are currently the following:

Change head gasket from local shop ~ $1,600 parts and labor
(afraid other problems may arise other than head gasket)

Buy rebuilt engine from another small local shop ~ $2,500 installed
(afraid of rebuild quality)

Buy new block from dealer + installation from, yet, another shop - $3,500 installed
(little out of budget)

STI engine / transmission swap - $?????
(not sure if its worth it... unless I find a killer deal somewhere)

I was seriously thinking about approaching this myself; but after weighing in the tools I need to buy w/ the amount of time, sweat, blood, and stress required, I might as well have a shop do it for me.

What would you guys do or what would you guys do differently? I really want to keep this around $3k if I were to have a shop do it for me. As stated in some of my other posts, my plan is just to have a working DD and weekend car that I can take to trips about 3-4 hrs away. Mod plans, so far, only include a TBE and Cobb Stg 2 flash for the engine, other $$$ will mostly go towards suspension and misc bike/snowboard racks.

Any input will be great! Thanks!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:44 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
same advice as i gave in the other thread. Pay LICmotorsports, have it done right and then dont worry about your car again
Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Car Info: '06 CGM STI
Long blocks from LIC are hard to beat. Then do the rest yourself.

I did my own and I had a blast building mine and learned alot.

Starting with a long block built by Adam would give you some serious piece of mind.

Try 034 Motorsports too. They have a good Subaru tech there. Goes by BM_05STI or something like that on here...

Last edited by grambo; 10-26-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
I would just do factory Subaru SB swap. You NEVER want to build a motor unless you have to given how many built motors are built incorrectly and the fact that often you will just have to rebuilt it again anyways from wear. Ask me how I know. Seeing as you're only stage 2, stock is best.

If your budget is $3k, I'm not sure why the STI swap is even on your list. The transmission alone will cost more than that.

Last edited by Brfatal; 10-26-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally Posted by Brfatal
I would just do factory Subaru SB swap. You NEVER want to build a motor unless you have to given how many built motors are built incorrectly and the fact that often you will just have to rebuilt it again anyways from wear. Ask me how I know. Seeing as you're only stage 2, stock is best.

If your budget is $3k, I'm not sure why the STI swap is even on your list. The transmission alone will cost more than that.
Yeah ... I kind of just threw that in there ... I think what I really meant was I'd like to spend 3k fixing/replacing a stock engine. If I were to do a STI swap I would expect to pay significantly more.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:33 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I would buy a new 2.0l shortblock, refresh the heads and put it back together. Might not be in your direct budget, but its the cheapest and most reliable solution for you.

-- Ed