Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Axis Power Racing 70mm TB Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 06:44 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Axis Power Racing 70mm TB Setup

Looking for maximum performance for my WRX, I opted to have my engine builder, Ron Williams from Axis Power help me eliminate some of the bottle necks in my car's power department.

Since I am running a bucket size turbo (T67) and a fully built 2.4L motor w/ fully built heads, I needed to insure that the engine intake system flows well enough at my desired boost levels.

After talking to Ron, he advised me to get a larger TB. He has been experimenting with that for a while with various size TB's. He tried the 85mm, 80mm, 75mm and 70mm TB's. He said that 70mm TB's work the best, so I chose that one. I didn't wanna pull the typical "oh lets get the biggest TB I can find and slap it on there" response and relied on Ron's expertise and experience.

I sent my intake manifold to him, and a short time after I got it back. What I got really impressed me. Very nice setup. Beautifully machined. The intake manifold's opening was nicely ported and matched to the new TB.

Well, enough talking. Lets look at some pics.

This is what the setup looks like.

Another shot.

From the side.

Buttlefly wide open.

Machined adapter plate.

Another shot of the adapter plate.

Axis Power 70mm TB vs. OEM home-ported TB.

Axis Power TB gasget on top of OEM TB. Notice the size difference.

---

The throttle body uses electronic TPS and can use any Ford ISC selenoid. I am not sure how to wire this TB to make work with stock ECU, because I am running a TEC III and didn't bother to ask. I am sure Ron will be happy to answer any questions you might have in regards to this setup.

Last time I spoke with Ron, he said he is planning to sell these setups for ~ $550 with core exchange. That will include the new TB, TPS sensor, adapter plate and all the machining. I think this is a better deal than some other companies charge for slightly enlarged OEM TB's. Plus, if you really want to get an 85mm TB, I think it can be done too.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I cannot wait to get my car running. I am expecting Hayabusa like throttle response.

- Alex
Old 06-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Admin v2.0

Hehe, yeah.

I might be dreaming though.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:59 PM

Car Info: platinum rex wagon
very nice setup, i esp. like the side by side pic, really puts the tb into perspective

you also reversed the intake manifold, nice wrc touch
Old 06-24-2003, 12:30 AM
Admin v2.0

My 2.4L motor is based on factory fully closed deck EJ22. I think I have JE pistoms with Peuter (sp?) rods.

My T67 is from GReddy and is basically a Mitsu TD06SH-25G turbo.

I am using R34 Denso pump. Still using stock feed and return lines up until the firewall. Everything in the engine bay are -8 Earl's lines.

I am using GReddy R-SPL FMIC with reversed "WRC" extrude honed manifold witout TGV's.

I will get some pics up later this week.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:16 PM

Here's the specs on Alex's motor.

2.2 legacy turbo block
darton ductile iron sleeves
ross pistons-98.5mm bore with custom pin height
pauter rods- stock 2.0 length
2.5 modified crank-79mm stroke
14mm head studs
total seal rings
cometic head gaskets
factory bearings and misc gaskets
JDM wrx heads(same casting as spec c heads) with avcs
JDM STI vers7 cams
Upgraded dual springs, titanium retainers, sti keepers

His engine should make well over 500hp to the wheels. Especially with that diesel turbo he's using.

Now if he just gets it going!!

Thanks Alex,
Ron
Old 06-25-2003, 12:00 AM
Admin v2.0

Haha!

Diesel turbo.

I will try. It might still be too big. If it doesnt perform as good as I want it to perform, I will get rid of it and get a nice HKS 3037S in its place.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:25 AM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
dual stage injectors?

not to get down on your setup alex, but i think it's gonna be a while before that monster gets up and running. there are just so many totally custom parts on it that the tuning process (esp with the AVCS, the TB, and possibly dual stage injectors) could be a long road. good luck and keep cranking on it, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:04 AM
Admin v2.0

Dual stage injectors are actually not that difficult to get running. I need to make a custom injector mount. With a pro like Ron, thats a peice of cake. To get it all tuned, I have Shiv 15 away from me.

I just cannot spend 24/7 working on the car. Between working at BOZZ, commute 80 miles each way and trying to have some sort of life outside, it does take time. However, I have waited long enough and the wait will be worth it.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 06 Legacy BP5
I guess I'm keeping my spare EJ22T long block.

Old 06-26-2003, 10:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
Lookin good bro. good luck with the rest of the project!
Old 07-06-2003, 02:51 PM

Car Info: o2 duburu arr exu
alex, i can't wait until you get your car running, particularly because you're running a setup thats very similar to the one i'm trying to achieve and i'm itching to see how well it turns out.

anyhow, i noticed you decided to go with axis power racing, but i was wondering if there was a reason why you opted to go with a built ej22 rather than their sleeved ej25. were your heads also built by axis? i'm talking myself into their 9500rpm heads but there is still more i have to do before that (like tranny )

about the throttle body, would it be possible for you to find out more info about the electronic tps? i'm currently running an ecutek reflash that was dyno tuned by shiv so i'm curious to see if the throttle body can be used with the stock ecu. i'm still unsure about what ecu i will be running once i get the t67 in though, but that won't be for a while now cause greddy keeps sending me the wrong kit

thanks,
walt

Last edited by nqwan; 07-06-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Admin v2.0

Hey Walt,

I chose EJ22T over EJ25 due to piston oil squirters. The EJ22 is also re-sleved just like they would resleave the EJ25. So no difference there.

They heads are built by Axis as well.

About stock ECU w/ TB. No idea. I don't use my stock ECU. Shiv would know more about it. He is also using this TB setup on one of his cars.

Let me know if you need help with T67 kit. I can get it to you fast.

Quick Reply: Axis Power Racing 70mm TB Setup