Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

anyone using aftermarket BOV

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 04:59 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
It's not that they are not good for the car, they are not good for performance. Allowing the turbo to de-spool somewhate between shifts causes extremely rich conditions as well as just plain making the turbo slower to get back on boost. But, if you like the way they sound more than you like getting back on boost half a second faster, go for it. Won't really hurt anything.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 WRBlue WRX sedan
I didn't know they actually decrease your performance. I just thought they didn't help. In fact, i think i read some post that said that bov's can actually help quicken spool times. But then again, can't believe everything you read.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
If your worried about loosing some performance go with somthing like a GFB 50/50 BOV. it shoots half the air out and half back into the intake. the stock BOV shoots 100% of the air back into the intake.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
i have a hks and i dont experience any power loss but no power gains. its just for the sound. my idle is still solid.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Old Brighton
Originally posted by WindingRoad
i have a hks and i dont experience any power loss but no power gains. its just for the sound. my idle is still solid.
Same here...
Old 01-20-2004, 03:21 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally posted by WindingRoad
Me too
Old 01-20-2004, 04:20 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
ok yalls, goto ask people that kno wats up with how turbo works.

first of all the hks bov WILL decrease performance if u are running a stock setup with the aftermarket BOV, in this case its only for sound.

the BOV is neccessary ONLY if you boosting high. such as turnin up the boost or if u have a bigger turbo. in this case, the BOV increases performance.

its all about a balanced setup. lota suckas jus slap things on thinking itll upgrade performance. its all about application.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:28 PM

Location: At the store trading the box of tissue in on some brawny!
Car Info: Platinum 02 WRX, Progress springs,JIC Bullet exhaust , STI shifter, Accessecu, Rota Sub Zero
Forge

I have the forge 100% VTA , no problems for almost 2 years.
Everything i have done to my car is worthless in some elses eyes , but it makes me Happy...words of wisdom .
Old 01-21-2004, 08:19 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
an aftermarket BOV may or may not affect performance and any affect is small. the main reason for getting one is the sound.

first off the main reason the stock valve vents back to the intake is emissions. basically any air that goes past your air filter has to go out the exhaust thru the cats. that's why modern cars all vent back thru the intake system. the stock BOV going back to the intake has very little to do with keeping the turbo spooled as some would claim. remember, the driving force is the exhaust flow which is the other end of the turbo.

here's how it could hurt performance.
the ecu accounts for the air going in, when a BOV vents to atmosphere the car will run a little rich and sometimes the car will hesitate, stumble or shoot flames. all are negatives for performance.

here's how it could help.
the BOV is just a basic relief valve to prevent backspinning the turbo. when the throttle plate closes the BOV vents presurized air and then reseats. a bigger and/or faster operating BOV will allow boost to build quicker once you get back on the throttle after shifting. i did experiment with a Blitz BOV versus stock on MR-2 back-to-back at the track and witnessed a repeatable ~0.1 sec improvement in 1/4 mile times just changing BOVs. for the WRX there is a catch....IMO the small opening size for the BOV on the IC is the limiting thing and any aftermarket BOV will do no better than stock unless you're running so much boost that the stock BOV isn't holding it.

my $0.02
Old 01-22-2004, 12:31 AM

Car Info: WR Blue WRX
FOUR REASONS TO GET A BOV:

1 - Driveability

2 - Fuel Efficiency

3 - Boosting Up Applications (Factory valves can leak like a sieve!)

4 - The Noise!

Fitting a blow-off valve that "scares the pants off pedestrians at 50 meters" is a blast ...

But you want a whole lot more than a big noise happening under the bonnet. And this is where GO FAST BITS blow-off valves excel.

They're engineered to produce peak performance under ALL conditions. A blow-off valve comes into play when the throttle is closed suddenly under boost conditions. A poor quality component actually slows acceleration and can cause "compression stall" … causing you to stall at the lights.

But that's the least of your problems. Imagine your turbocharger spinning at 80,000rpm pumping a truckload of air through your inlet pipes at nearly 90 metres per second … then you suddenly close the throttle. The "reverse thrust" forces produced are so huge, you can end up with a damaged turbocharger!

GO FAST BITS Hybrid blow-off valves overcome the problem by venting most of the non-required intake pressure into the atmosphere, while a small portion is vented back to the turbo and airflow meter-enough to stop problems such as excessive fuel use, backfiring and engine shudder at half acceleration.

I hope this info helps! For the record I have the GFB Hybrid set to 100% atomos and have never had any problems out of it and you can tell a lot less lag in the turbo in btw. shifts because you are not having so much reverse thrust pressure slowing down your turbo.

Let me know if I can help anyone!

Brian

Flash N Dash Performance
Old 01-22-2004, 10:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
Yeah i have a GFB and i have noticed no problems...i have had it for well over 15,000 miles and no problems....

Quick Reply: anyone using aftermarket BOV