Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Anyone familar with Prodrive exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 05:57 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Anyone familar with Prodrive exhausts?

I had an oval tip axleback which I regret selling so I recently bought a round tip to replace it. I had heard that the round tip was louder, which made me a little nervous since I don't want a really loud exhaust.

I just installed the round tip and much to my surprise, it's really quiet, only slightly louder than the factory STi axleback. The oval tip had a nice boxer rumble at idle and at parking lot speeds - a nice, low-frequency tone that would set off alarms in my work parking lot, even though it wasn't actually that loud. Setting off alarms was not my goal, but that gives you an idea of just how loud and low the oval tip was.

The round tip I'm running now is only a little louder than the factory exhaust, my wife can't even tell the difference between that one and the factory STi axleback.

So: is there a reason that the oval tip was so much louder and had so much more of a boxer rumble? I thought that the oval tip and round tip were the same except for the tip. Why is it that so many people have said that the round tip is louder? I'm running catless all the way back if that makes any difference.

I'd appreciate any insights from anyone that has run both exhausts or had experience with both. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:43 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
I think they sound exactly the same. I was talking to a customer at the dealership and he told me he had a prodrive round tip axleback on his 07 sti, but he really wanted a oval tip prodrive. apparently he had one on his old 02 wrx and he loved the sound. I told him we had one prodrive oval tip instock. he was excited and wanted to buy the oval tip and sell me his round tip.
anyways after he switched the prodrive round tip axleback for the oval tip prodrive........ It sounded exactly the same....
perhaps the prodrive axlebacks sound different on the wrx and the sti ?
-Chris
Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
That's interesting... one of the reasons that I initally took off (and sold) my oval tip is that it was kind of loud on the freeway. Going over the H3 freeway is uphill 6% - 7% grade for about 3 miles and the oval tip was annoyingly loud on those trips. Sounded great at low speed, but bothered me under the constant throttle on the uphill run.

I drove around a bit with the round tip and I can hear engine noises that I never could with the oval tip, meaning that the exhaust is much quieter, allowing engine noises to be heard.

In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter, the exhaust looks and sounds great (if a tiny bit too quiet). I was just curious about the big difference in sound between the oval and round tips.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:11 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
They use identical resonators and mufflers, by appearance at least. The difference is probably just the styling of the muffler tip...