Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Anybody use water injection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 12:41 AM
tim

Question Anybody use water inection?

I have been reading a lot about water injection lately, and I was just wondering if anyone has used it or knows someone who has. It sounds pretty good, but then again, I dont know anyone who has had any actual experience...

check these out:
turboICE
Aquamist

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:32 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Water injection is a band-aid solution to improper fuel management. Save your money for something more useful.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:12 AM
tim

jehcpa,
you wrote that paper? 'cause that is what initially got me interested in WI... That paper answered SO many questions.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 996 Turbo,Gallardo,BMW 335,125cc shifter kart,etc
FWIW, we've now custom tuned 3 modified WRX with and without water injection on our dyno-- under controlled conditions. In ever case, the WI proved to be essentially useless in terms of absolute power output. In fact, output suffers measurably. Not saying that there is no reasonable application for WI. Just saying that we have yet to see it for WRXs we have tested (a couple of stage 1s and one stage 2).

My 2c,
Shiv
________
Full melt hash

Last edited by Vishnu; 03-07-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by mr. m
if its a band aid solution to improper fuel management then why do wrc cars use it?
Heavily regulations and inlet restrictions = huge exhaust back-pressure which results in huge thermal loads especially under often low-speed racing conditions (like rally). WI helps with in-cylinder cooling as well as elminating the need to overfuel for knock surpression. Although I don't think the knock issue is much of an issue in rally cars considering the jet fuels they probably run on.

my 2c,
Shiv
________
Buy Portable Vaporizer

Last edited by Vishnu; 03-07-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:47 AM

Here are my findings. Take what you will from it

Adding WI (even the smallest Aquamist jet available) on the WRXs we've custom dyno tuned (without WI) immediately resulted in a massive across-the-board torque loss. Not surprising considering the additional of a non-combustible in the combustion chamber. I then proceeded to add in timing, pull fuel and raise boost. I was able to recover most of the torque loss the WI induced by running 3-5 degrees more advance, 2-3 more psi of boost (as permittable by the stock and VF30 turbos) and substantially leaner fuel curves (as lean as 12.5:1 throughout most of the power curve). But in the end, the results with WI were still inconclusive. I suspect this is because the applications we've tried WI on were already operating efficiently with plently of advance.

In an application that is suffering from high charge temps, tons of back-pressure and/or lots of other nastiness, WI can allow a few extra degrees of advance on a car that would be otherwise struggling to run reasonable advance numbers. In such an application, the extra advance should results in a large torque gain that would offset the torque loss caused by adding water into the air/fuel charge. In such an application, WI would prove to be useful.

Just my 2c,
Shiv
________
PLYMOUTH PLAZA HISTORY

Last edited by Vishnu; 03-07-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Anybody use water injection?