Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

AccessPORT Maps for larger-than-stock turbos on 2.0L WRX...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 05:21 PM

AccessPORT Maps for larger-than-stock turbos on 2.0L WRX...

I have been given permission and authorization to develop a AccessPORT map for use with a larger-than-stock turbo on the 2.0L WRX. I have an idea as to what turbo should be used but I would like to get some feedback from you all. Some critical hardware that will be specified with the use of this map are the intake system, fuel injectors, turbo, upgraded TMIC, and turbo-back exhaust system. We have already tested different turbos with various fuel injectors and should be able to make a decision as which hardware will be used for this map. But, before the final decision has been made I would appreciate your feedback. I have personally tuned several Garrett, MHI, IHI, FP, Deadbolt, Brand X, Brand Y turbos etc. over the years so we are not limited to a particular brand for the marketing aspect of things...I just want to specify a turbo that perform consistently and provide more flow that the stock 2.0L WRX turbo. The vendor needs to be able to supply, service, and support the turbo as well. That means no fly-by-night brand new never seen turbo operations, etc. nor a turbo that has 20 different options as to its configuration (coatings, ported, not ported, clipped, special this, special that, etc.) The turbo must be a stock replacement, not rotated, no super big inlet that requires more hardware, no special oil/anti freeze lines, etc. and compatible with the stock style boost control solenoid. Along the same lines, the stock exhaust manifold and up-pipe (or a better than stock up-pipe that retains heat) will be required, the stock fuel rails will be used (we will test the stock fuel pump), and I will do everything I can to educate the facts about tuning Subarus. In other words “the #? cylinder is the lean one (not), the fuel pressure drops on the #? injector so fuel rails are needed (not)”, boost is a measurement of restriction (true), bla, bla, bla.

First off, please realize that a GT30+ or Red turbo is way too large for this map to be made safe and is not a good match for a street driven 2.0L. We are looking to be able to satisfy all of the U.S. market with this map...so running CA91 octane must be taken into consideration (no 20+ pounds of relative boost pressure, damn you 93 octane East coasters ). This map is not going to be a perfectly tuned aggressive map so do not expect that. This map will be a good map to run a larger-than-stock turbo and should be a good map to use for similar set-ups (i.e. to load scaling, injector scaling, base mapping, etc. will be a good starting point for StreetTUNER users). This will still be an improvement over the stock turbo as far as power goes, but we will not be able to satisfy everybody.

I will try to keep this to an open discussion, no bashing, just facts and experience. I will read all feedback, respond when needed, and try to get all questions answered. I need to do everything we can to limit tolerance changes. The last thing I want to do is release a base map that needs constant revision (because the wastegates do not perform consistently or because different exhaust manifolds other than stock are used). The turbo, fuel injectors, TMIC, and intake all must perform consistently in order to make this work. The availability of the map will not be any time soon…most likely around 70-100 days.

Our initial thoughts are a VF39+STi TMIC map and a 16G+TMIC map. Please go ahead and post your ideas for turbos, I await your feedback.

Take care,
Christian.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Howdy there, I'd love to see a map for vf34, pinks, 255lph, STi tmic, up, tbe, short ram intake on crap Ca. 91 fuel at sea level.

or a comparable Map with the green.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
Howdy there, I'd love to see a map for vf34, pinks, 255lph, STi tmic, up, tbe, short ram intake on crap Ca. 91 fuel at sea level. or a comparable Map with the green.
We already have a VF34 map available = http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport/20index.html

This map requires a stock intake, the fuel pump is not necessary, but this map should otherwise work.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:28 PM

Car Info: wrx
Originally Posted by Christian.
We already have a VF34 map available = http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport/20index.html

This map requires a stock intake, the fuel pump is not necessary, but this map should otherwise work.

i'd like to know how reliable this map is and if anyone in the bay uses it with no problems.

i know youre asking for larger-than-stock turbos, but how about a map for the stock turbo with a catless tbe?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by projectwrx
i'd like to know how reliable this map is and if anyone in the bay uses it with no problems. i know youre asking for larger-than-stock turbos, but how about a map for the stock turbo with a catless tbe?
I have traveled several times to California for dyno and street testing, and data acquisition. We have shipped the CA91 octane to our facility for testing as well. On some of the older applications we were not able to develop maps specifically for CA91 octane, although for the newer applications we have made specific changes to the mapping to accomidate the poor qualities of the CA91 octane.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport/25index.html
http://cobbtuning.com/forester/accessport/index.html
http://cobbtuning.com/legacy/accessport/index.html

If these do not work for you, we also offer the StreetTUNER software or you can travel to your local ProTUNER...which I believe is Gruppe-S in your case.

Take care,
Christian.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy

I had horrid knock on that map on CA91, I was running lean as heck, and generally not very smooth. This may be great elsewhere, but on CA91 it's not very good.

For the larger turbos a protune is really the best bet. You guys are going to be hard pressed to make a map that suits everyone with "blank" turbo. I gained over 25whp and 30lb-ft from having a very conservative protune (a tad on the rich side and happy enough to keep my IAM at 16 contantly), the overal driveability is MUCH better. Most people with large turbos have all sorts of supporting mods, it would be really hard to develop a tuning path unless you, as cobb, came out with a tip to toe package. There's no way I'd run the stock IC on anything bigger than a VF30/34 so what manufacturer IC would the map be for?

There are a lot of things to consider, I think Cobb's best bet is to really push the protune, find everyone that knows how to tune the little turbo boxers and has an in house AWD dyno and get them licensed.

As a side note, your time to market leaves a lot to be desired, I'm sure a new map is a good way to drum up a little business, but word of mouth would get your far more business. Having realistic release dates, sticking to them, and when you do release don't make your customers wait 4 months to receive their product. I love the products, but with what I've seen on the backside, I'm always nervous about recommend cobb to anyone.

Last edited by illusion; 02-01-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 PM

Car Info: wrx
I have traveled several times to California for dyno and street testing, and data acquisition. We have shipped the CA91 octane to our facility for testing as well. On some of the older applications we were not able to develop maps specifically for CA91 octane, although for the newer applications we have made specific changes to the mapping to accomidate the poor qualities of the CA91 octane.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport/25index.html
http://cobbtuning.com/forester/accessport/index.html
http://cobbtuning.com/legacy/accessport/index.html

If these do not work for you, we also offer the StreetTUNER software or you can travel to your local ProTUNER...which I believe is Gruppe-S in your case.

Take care,
Christian.

maybe you can acquire the services of a local tuner to develop a map that us cali folks can use?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:16 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX White
I would kill for a 16G+TMIC map for my AP.

Last edited by kellie00; 02-07-2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by kellie00
I would kill for a 16G+TMIC map for my AP.
MZM International
AWD Mustang
826 Prairie Trail
Austin, TX 78758
Phn: 512.837.6200
www.mzmperformance.com

Your 16G map is waiting
Old 02-07-2006, 09:30 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX White
200 miles in an untuned car? Pass.

Originally Posted by illusion
MZM International
AWD Mustang
826 Prairie Trail
Austin, TX 78758
Phn: 512.837.6200
www.mzmperformance.com

Your 16G map is waiting
Old 02-07-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by kellie00
200 miles in an untuned car? Pass.

You live in TX and don't have any friends with a real big truck? http://www.uhaul.com/guide/?equipment=autotransport It's $50 a day for the tranport, you could even rent a truck too.

Where there's a will there's a way. After I installed the PE1820 I had my toy flatbedded an hour away because it was that important to me, must not be that important.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:25 AM

Car Info: 2002 Blue Wagon
Talking Small 16G Big Turbo Map

I would also love a map for the small 16G. I am currently running a Stage 2 set up with Vishnu stage 0 with TurboXS down and high flow catted mid pipe with Stromung muffler. Put down 210hp and 225 ft/lb at Vishnu with the Xede. Got tired of the bucking so am expecting a Cobb AP anyday now in the mail.

I have done a lot of research for dyno plots of the small 16g vs the VF34. The 16g seems to come on boost earlier and have a bit more midrange/topend.

I am looking at the Deadbolt turbo although I don't know how much difference the manufacturer makes in turbo performance, the FP 16g is $100 less expensive.

There seems to be some debate about the injector size needed for this turbo, pinks vs 660's. The truth will come on the dyno and the duty cycle of the injectors.

TMIC selection would ideally be in a package including an air splitter actually made for the particular intercooler to ensure that the entire ic is being cooled by the air.
Any reliable comparison tests of the IC on the flow bench to look at the CFM they flow and amount of pressure drop? This information would assure the optimal ic is chosen the for the Big Turbo Map.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:49 PM

Car Info: 2002 Blue Wagon
Updates

Any updates on the maps for larger turbo's
I would be glad to be a test mule for a larger turbo.
I live in NW Alabama and am willing to drive a few states to a 4wd dyno.

BOB
Old 03-29-2006, 08:08 AM

Christian, i would be interested in map for a 16G + TMIC. I'm currently at stg II but would like to upgrade.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by podman
Christian, i would be interested in map for a 16G + TMIC. I'm currently at stg II but would like to upgrade.
We should be fine tuning the 16G map early next week. I will be sure to keep all interested parties updated on ETAs, power output, etc.

Originally Posted by projectwrx
maybe you can acquire the services of a local tuner to develop a map that us cali folks can use?
I am traveling to CA for some CA91 testing and we will be making provisions so this map will be properly calibrated for the CA91 octane fuel quality (or lack thereof.

Originally Posted by podman
The first map we will be releasing is the 16G mapping for the 2002-2003 WRX using the Forced Performance standard 16G turbo. The next map after that will be the VF39 for the 2002-2003 WRX.

Take care,
Christian.

Quick Reply: AccessPORT Maps for larger-than-stock turbos on 2.0L WRX...