Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

2004 WRX Spun Rod Bearing - Options and Advice Please

Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
I agree, it seems like a rip-off but I'm really not sure how it could be done for less. Cheapest price I could find on a NEW shortblock is just over $1700 (plus about $100 shipping). You really do have to replace most anything the oil touched so (Oil Pump, Oil Cooler) and you SHOULD replace the timing belt and water pump...all those parts aren't cheap. Add to that about $2000 in shop labor, including having the heads re-surfaced) and you've EASILY eclipsed your "$4000" price tag...

Again, either shop time is WAY less out there, or we aren't comparing apples to apples. I'm using new replacement parts, not used/junk yard finds.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal

Holy cow. Anything over $4,000 for a stock replacement shortblock (no frills per your mention) is a complete rip off. I've had a built EJ205 (pistons and rods) put in for $3,200. For a hybrid, ~$5,000 for a tuning shop (assuming your don't match the heads) and ~$6,000 for a dealership are the going rates just about everywhere else.

Your local shops are really screwing their customers over there....

As for Prosport, one of their former employees testified that many of their gauges just aren't accurate and that the return rate for this and because of gauge failure for warranty is somewhere close to 30%. I've been able to say "told you so" quite a few times when people buy Prosport gauges over the years despite my warning not to.
Eh, I've read that entire thread. All hearsay as far as I'm concerned. Prosport representatives disputed most if not all of what this employee claimed. That and this "employee's" demeanor and writing style was childish at best. Made me think twice for sure but his side was def not the whole story...

I think I'll do just fine but feel free to "tell me so" anyway, it is the Internet!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Also, it would help to compare apples to apples. "Short block" usually refers to engine base without the heads. "Long block" includes the base and heads. "Hybrid" usually refers to 2.5l base with 2.0l (wrx) heads.
Keep in mind a stock 2.5l ej257 (sti engine) may run anywhere from $1.5-2k. Work on the heads may also get up to $3k depending on what you do (port and polish, retainers, etc.)

Originally Posted by SubNub
I agree, it seems like a rip-off but I'm really not sure how it could be done for less. Cheapest price I could find on a NEW shortblock is just over $1700 (plus about $100 shipping). You really do have to replace most anything the oil touched so (Oil Pump, Oil Cooler) and you SHOULD replace the timing belt and water pump...all those parts aren't cheap. Add to that about $2000 in shop labor, including having the heads re-surfaced) and you've EASILY eclipsed your "$4000" price tag...

Again, either shop time is WAY less out there, or we aren't comparing apples to apples. I'm using new replacement parts, not used/junk yard finds.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by iflycoach
Also, it would help to compare apples to apples. "Short block" usually refers to engine base without the heads. "Long block" includes the base and heads. "Hybrid" usually refers to 2.5l base with 2.0l (wrx) heads.
Keep in mind a stock 2.5l ej257 (sti engine) may run anywhere from $1.5-2k. Work on the heads may also get up to $3k depending on what you do (port and polish, retainers, etc.)
Exactly my point. A new EJ205 short block is $1700 as I stated above, the new EJ257 short block was marginally more money but requires head work (resurface and port match) for a quality hybrid build. Most people need tuning after too. I would have needed injectors, fuel pump and preferably a bigger turbo too as I had a TDO4 still.

I don't see how you could have a shop do all the labor on a quality build for less than $4000... EJ205 or EJ257. The parts alone are almost $3k lol.

Maybe for someone who already had all the supporting modifications but take into account what you spent on those already for a fair comparison.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by SubNub

There is no shipping when you buy from your local dealership. And it includes pump and cooler (see the ~) as well as injectors and tuning for the hybrid.

And none of the quotes I mentioned involved used or junkyard parts. All new, OEM Subaru except the $3,200 built EJ205, which was a used block w/ new rods and pistons. I had to trade my spun block as a core.

Just sayin. $7-8k is crazy to me unless you're doing a LOT of extra work. I'm just letting you know I think you're getting ripped off.

Last edited by Brfatal; 08-19-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
There is no shipping when you buy from your local dealership. And it includes pump and cooler (see the ~) as well as injectors and tuning for the hybrid.

And none of the quotes I mentioned involved used or junkyard parts. All new, OEM Subaru except the $3,200 built EJ205, which was a used block w/ new rods and pistons. I had to trade my spun block as a core.

Just sayin. $7-8k is crazy to me unless you're doing a LOT of extra work. I'm just letting you know I think you're getting ripped off.
A moot point now since my money is spent but please feel free to list out an itemized quote to help others. Your numbers just don't add up for me. Here is what I see in California.

EJ205 - Stock Rebuild Done Correctly
Parts:
  • EJ205 Short Block $1700-$1991 (Yes, you don't pay shipping at a local dealer but prepare to bend over on price and pay an extra 200 dollars)
  • OEM Gasket Kit ~$300
  • Head Studs ~$170
  • OEM Oil Cooler ~$250
  • Oil Pump ~$150
  • Gates Timing Belt Kit ~$173 (non Race, Amazon)
  • OEM Water Pump ~$110
  • NGK Spark Plugs ~$30
  • Exhaust Gaskets ~$50
  • OEM Coolant ~$23
  • OIL ~$25
  • Oil Filter ~$7
TOTAL: $2998

Labor:
  • Resurface Heads ~$200 (Heads need to be inspected and resurfaced)
  • Remove Old Engine ~$350
  • Longblock Teardown ~$400
  • Longblock Assembly ~$600
  • Final Install, Boost Test, Prime Oil and Coolant and Startup ~$700
TOTAL: $2250

Minor Frills:
  • Clutch Kit $180 (Amazon Exedy)
  • Group-N Motor Mounts $140
  • Aftermarket Oil Pickup $180
  • STi Pan and Dipstick $130

As you can see, just building a stock EJ205 with no frills costs $5238 minimum NOT INCLUDING STATE SALES TAX (just listed minor frills for reference, not included). Imagine if your heads needed a valve job too... I'd prefer to do the rebuild with a new oil pickup (aftermarket) and STi oil pan too but you add about ~$600 in parts and labor for this. Build a hybrid and you don't think you could find an additional $2800 in parts and labor for port matching heads, new turbo, new injectors, fuel pump and tuning? A quality tune on the dyno out here is $300-$500 alone...

Maybe the cheap prices you've paid is a reason you've been through so many engines? :P I kid...sorta...
Old 04-10-2014, 06:45 PM

Car Info: '99 2.5RS
Originally Posted by iflycoach

Where can I get a stock ej257 for $2k? Or are you talking used?