Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

what do you think of this set up

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 01:25 AM

Car Info: 2002/2.5/sr40/400hp
psi

Ride-on
Old 03-23-2003, 10:35 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Re: what do you think of this set up

Originally posted by BlackDubbaUREks
-t3 t4

-a new wastegate

-blitz sbc i-d boost controller

-custom piping down pipe, full cat back.

-mrt frount mount intercooler

i will usually be running the car on low boost if i am not racing, just wanted to know if my car would blow or can my motor handle the new turbo and everything

If you dont get some sort of engine managment and upgarded fuel system like a custom tuned unichip, reflash, or stand alone ECU along with at least STi injectors and an upgraded pump... You'll for sure blow something. A ring, a piston land, or worse...
Old 03-24-2003, 02:25 PM

Well the pump, injectors, and ECU are a must... But there are downsides to putting only some of them in and not all...

If you put in the upgraded pump you risk having a lot of fuel being returned to the tank and having it heated up by the fuel rails.

If you do just the injectors, then you'll go pig rich when you go WOT or into openloop mode in the ECU.

Just the ECU alone will not give you more fuel which is what you need with a larger turbo.

I say get the ECU(e.g. UTEC, Xede) first. But make sure to turn down the boost to no higher then 12psi or so. That way you dont go and blow something up by going way lean. The ECU is the bigger purchase, and in the mean time you can learn how to tune with it.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by sns
No offence, but that's bull****. I run between 16 and 20psi. When I run 20psi it's not for long, one run at a time, when I do happen to drag. I've been running this for over 10K miles. My engine is just fine. The stock injectors and fuel pump can handle 16 psi just fine. That's what I have it set at for daily driving. And I don't just daily drive it. I drive the hell out of it. I'm not a dragger, I'm a backroads type guy. You do need the ECU, but that's it if you're not running huge numbers of boost. I just bought a fuel pump, in fact it just came in today. The fuel pump will be better because once I get my injectors I won't worry so much about the 20 psi runs. Your fuel is controlled by your ecu, up to the max your injectors and fuel pump can handle. When you are at WOT that doesn't mean your injectors are being maxed. If it did you would see so many sizes of injectors it would be rediculous. Go with the STI injectors when you do decide to upgrade, but there really isn't a hurry so long as you have your ecu tunned right.

Oh boy a genius in the house

Guess you never ever datalogged before? You can max out the stock injectors on the stock turbo. And since we're talking an upgraded turbo, it'll be even worse. It's not about boost, it's about CFM.

so SNS go and run your engine hard like that, I wonder how long it'll last compared to the rest of the conservative world.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:50 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
I agree with Tevia-Boy. Do you Injectors/ECU/Fuel Pump at the same time. CFM is the name of the game, not boost.

20 PSI on the stock injecters is pure lunacy. Your motor is not for long. What do your EGT's look like when you perform that task?

Stock injectors on a stock ECU and a FMIC with a PE1820 put down 260HP at 16.5 pounds of boost and a FR of <10:1. You can do it, but you are not optimized.

20PSI on stock injectors is doing your car a grave injustice.

Andy
Old 03-25-2003, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by sns
First of all I never said that an engine would last running 20lbs of boost on a stock fuel pump and injectors. I also never dissagreed with doing fuel pump, injectors, and ecu at the same time. But don't go dissin me when you say that at WOT you will go full right. That's what the ecu is controling. It's never any use blabbing on and on about who knows what on these sites. What you want to do is listen to various responders, then go to somehwere that you know people know what the hell they're talking about, like a shop. That way you don't get half bit stories like the one I gave, and the one everyone else is giving. And, never take anyones word on anything, read about it. All you're going to get on here is ideas. You'll never be able to tell who know's what because someone else will always know more. Well, they will think they know more.

Okay your correct I'm sorry for dissing you. It was not appropriate.

But the fact of tha matter is you are correct in a sense that the ECU controls fuel. But how can an ECU add more fuel when your injectors and fuel pressure are already maxed out? It can't. All it can do is increase the IDC to over 100%(yes you can see values of 105-115%) At that point you could have an injector stick open or also loose the precise control that an ECU has over an injector and it's pulse width.

I don't claim to know it all, but there are some basics that everyone should know and that is if your going to upgrade your turbo and up the boost... you need to upgrade your fuel system. That includes a pump for more fuel volume, an injectors for more flow, and an ECU that can control your new larger injectors. Well the ECU does more then that, but I'll leave it as simple as that. This should be common EFI performance guidelines.

Who knows, maybe I don't know anything. But I guess that's why I'm a mechanic and my car runs like a champ huh. I dunno, go figure.
This actually makes me 2nd guess anyone that tells me this. Running like a champ and running fast are two different things. I'm sure you can diagnose something in half the time I can, or even less! But that doesn't mean you could pop in a stand alone ECU like I have and tune away. Different strokes for different folks. Come to think of it, some of my closer friends are mechanics. Of the 5-6 that I do know that are ASE certified mechanics and working for "5 star dealers", only one is totally up to par on upgrading an EFI car.

Good luck on your endevours.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:47 AM

Actually I'll be in Cali this weekend, and also the 2nd week of april for a week. But I wont be anywhere near your area I believe. That and I am not going there to spend time checking out cars as much as I'd like to, I think my other half wouldn't like that

Quick Reply: what do you think of this set up