Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

UTEC or ACCESSPORT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:44 AM

UTEC or ACCESSPORT?

I'm ready to purchase either the Turboxs UTEC or the Cobb AccessPort/Street Tuner. I've read info. on both along with reviews but can't decide. I was told the UTEC would be easier for a novice to tune. Any feed-back to help make a decision would be appriciated.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by forcefed
I'm ready to purchase either the Turboxs UTEC or the Cobb AccessPort/Street Tuner. I've read info. on both along with reviews but can't decide. I was told the UTEC would be easier for a novice to tune. Any feed-back to help make a decision would be appriciated.
Don't ever use the word "novice" and "tune" in the same sentence. Neither system is user-friendly, and neither should be used within 1000 feet of a vehicle you care about if you don't know what you are doing. The AccessPort stock maps are fine for plug-and-play, but when you start tweaking AFR and OLT, you are going to go BOOM unless read that manual cover to cover and spent a lot of time thinking about your goals and targets of tuning your car.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:56 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i agree. i have heard of people blowing up motors with just the acess port and that a pro tuning it. i had my friend tune my utec. i liked it but i now have a link stand alone
Old 06-03-2005, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the feed-back, I wasn't planning to start trying to tune either system my self, just using the stage maps to begin and a professional tune. But I did want to know if one system had an advantge over the other as far as being easier to begin tuning with as one became more knowledgable.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
I would get whatever reputable dealer near your home likes to tune. I would consider Ecutek too. For me I'm not the one tuning it so I have who is close pick what they like to tune since they're the ones that will be doing it. I know quite a bit about cars but I'm not about to mess with electronics on an engine I would rather not replace. But if I do..............Spec C ******!!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 08:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
^^^^^^^
what he said.

If you can find someone that tunes with the Protuner I would go with the AP and have a custom map made but thats just my opinion. According to what I've read a tuner can make changes on the fly with the protuner which should cut the time to tune the car quite a bit.

IMO, you are better off researching both forms of EM to see what will work best for you.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:43 PM

I live on the east coast, not to far from TBXS in Ma. and know of at least one reputable tuner for the UTEC near me so I guess I should go with their system. Cobb seems a long way if I ran into trouble getting their system tuned. Thats what I liked about the Cobb street tuner you could make changes on the fly, but then I'm not the one tuning it.