Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

re-flashing or piggybacking - whats the difference? (was: u did what with my ecu?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:03 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Unhappy u did what with my ecu?

i just bought an upipe, downpipe, and catback exhaust system for my 02 wrx. Now i want my ecu to be in harmony with the new upgrades, what should i know before i get this done? i'v heard of flashing or re-flashing, and of piggybacking, whats tha difference and which should i go for? help!
Old 03-02-2007, 06:31 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
An ECU reflash overwrites the existing tuning 'map' stored by the ECU. A piggyback unit attaches to the ECU by electrical connection, reads the data from the ECU, then modifies some of the data before sending the modified signal back to the ECU.

Currently, reflashing the Subaru ECU is the more popular option because tuning tools exist for the professional tuning facility for custom dyno tuning. There are two popular ways to achieve this - the EcuTek reflashing method and the Cobb Tuning AccessPORT. The latter includes a user-licensed handheld device that can store multiple maps (race gas, valet mode, high-altitude, etc.). The EcuTek requires the purchase of a license for the initial reflash performed by the dealer (there is no user device).

Both web sites list dealers where you can go for custom dyno tuning and reflashing.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 03-02-2007, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
how good of a tune can i expect if i have to send it off, having big trouble finding any one that can do this in my area, so without the dyno what should i expect?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:05 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
A mail order tune from a good tuning shop will be on the conservative side regarding air/fuel ratio and ignition advance compared with a custom dyno tune. This is to help ensure that your engine will make decent safe power. Even though the mail order map is conservative, it will show a noticeable power increase throughout the usable RPM range compared with an untuned ECU.

Your exhaust mods are often referred to as a 'stage 2' level of modifications. Maybe someone with similar mods and a reflash or AccessPORT can offer what you can expect in the way of a power increase at the wheels.

--
0==WW==0
Old 03-02-2007, 08:54 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
A mail order tune from a good tuning shop will be on the conservative side regarding air/fuel ratio and ignition advance compared with a custom dyno tune. This is to help ensure that your engine will make decent safe power. Even though the mail order map is conservative, it will show a noticeable power increase throughout the usable RPM range compared with an untuned ECU.

Your exhaust mods are often referred to as a 'stage 2' level of modifications. Maybe someone with similar mods and a reflash or AccessPORT can offer what you can expect in the way of a power increase at the wheels.

--
0==WW==0
On my old WRX(now have STi) I had the same set up. Turbo back exhaust, upipe with an Accessport with a protuned stage 2 map from FLi. The difference will be night and day, even if you just buy engine managment with out the power mods. I dynoed 234 whp which is very good for the 2.0L turbo power plant. A stock WRX makes around 180whp, so obviously you will notice the signifigant change in power output. You will not be disappointed, I know I wasn't.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:41 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
if you are worried about sending the ecu off and having down time, go with the AP. they have base maps on the net, youve already contacted chris, so you know someone that can help, and later on down the road you can get it protuned. and its sold by subaru. this is probably a better option as you dont have any 'control' over the re-flash like wingless said.