Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

help, p0244

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by MethodBuilt
You're correct actually. True boost creep can only be fixed by porting the wastegate and tuning won't help it. Many people, however, mistake an impropper tune for boost creep and assume that its purely a mechanical issue. This happens a lot when people run exhaust mods with the stock ECU and end up hitting fuel cut because the programmed wastegate duty cycles are too high for that setup. In such cases, a good tune can alleviate any so-called boost creep in most cars.

Thanks
Thanks for the explanation. I only have personal experience with the EJ20 and a problem like this is usually boost spike (not as much exhaust flow with a 2.0).
Initially I thought he had a 2.0 but after looking at his profile I realized I was wrong.

Are you saying that boost spike due to a faulty FBC, loose or split vacuum line or faulty wastegate is definitely out of the question? My 02 had a similar issue (boost spike) minus the CEL with a Cobb stage 2 and it ended up being a stretched out vacuum line at the T.

I'm not trying to bust your *****, I'm sure you have way more experience than me. I'm asking since my buddy just bought a new Legacy GT that he'd like to mod and I'm trying to get a better understanding of the differences in the 2.0 and 2.5. I don't want to steer him in the wrong direction if he ever has a similar problem

Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 02:17 AM

What is considered "cold," in California. I had my UTEC tuned when it was 95-100 degrees out (talk about a bad day for tuning). I take it you are running an AP as your engine managment? If so, you should see if Cobb will raise you ECU's fuel cut boost level. I would NOT suggest porting your wastegate. That won't solve your creep issue. If it is cooler than normal, and you are doing high load pulls (ie, high gears, uphill, up in your powerband) creep is going to happen. After my UTEC tune, I got more tuning to match my ECU with the UTEC via OpenECU. From there we raised the Fuel Cut boost level to 21.5 psi. Since then no more fuel cut. Boost creep is free power as long as you aren't knocking.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by DChan
What is considered "cold," in California. I had my UTEC tuned when it was 95-100 degrees out (talk about a bad day for tuning). I take it you are running an AP as your engine managment? If so, you should see if Cobb will raise you ECU's fuel cut boost level. I would NOT suggest porting your wastegate. That won't solve your creep issue. If it is cooler than normal, and you are doing high load pulls (ie, high gears, uphill, up in your powerband) creep is going to happen. After my UTEC tune, I got more tuning to match my ECU with the UTEC via OpenECU. From there we raised the Fuel Cut boost level to 21.5 psi. Since then no more fuel cut. Boost creep is free power as long as you aren't knocking.

wow, I dont even know where to begin with this. First of all, dont listen to this person, boost creep is one of the most dangerous conditions to operate your car under, not being able to control your boost pressure should NEVER be thought of as 'free power', using that logic you can just weld your wastegate shut, think of all the extra power you will have untill your motor lets go. Your stock boost cut is already set at 1.5 bar(22psi) why would Cobb (or anyone!)have any interest in raising that level on any pump gas map?? And yes, you absolutley can eliminate boost creep by porting your wastegate, if you dont think so then you probably dont understand exactly what bost creep is, heres some homework for you.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...96&postcount=1
http://rx7.freeservers.com/modhb/boostcontrol.htm

And heres a company that SELLS BOOST CONTROLERS that even says it wont help with boost creep
http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/faq.html

Last edited by Krinkov; 02-01-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:55 PM
banned

Car Info: 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX TR
Either contact Cobb and tell them that you're creeping and need different WGDC values in a Stg. 2 CA Map.

Or if you have the StreetTuner software, log a couple runs and adjust your WGDC's accordingly.

I had the same exact problem, just bumped up the DCs a bit.

WGDC=Wastegate Duty Cycle