Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

ECU Problem?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:11 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon PSM
ECU Problem?

First and foremost, I am not a Subaru expert so bare with me . So my car hasn't been driving as well as it normally does and today I decided to uninstall my AP from my 02 WRX to go back to the stock map. After I finished that stage, I wanted to reinstall it and reflash to a Stage 2 map. I know that you can easily reflash without uninstalling it, but I did that before and wasn't getting any noticeable differences. Once I began the process of reinstalling the AP to my car, it asks to make sure the car's ignition is in the "ON" position. I do so, but nothing happens. All my AP does is have trouble communicating with my ECU. I decide to start my car after dealing with this issue, but the car won't start up. When I go to start it, it's definitely turning over, just not enough to get my car to start. So I had a friend with the same exact car as me come over after 20 minutes of frustration. I then tried connecting my AP (unmarried) to his car. As soon as I turned his key to the "ON" position, it immediately recognizes his vehicle whereas it's unable to with my car. My guess is the ECU is fried and I need a new one, but what do you Subaru experts think? If so, I found one that is for my car for fairly cheap. Subaru wants $135 just to tell me if it works or not, and over $1200 for a new one. Any advice is helpful at this point.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:19 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
Low battery voltage? Old battery?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon PSM
Originally Posted by xhengmanx
Low battery voltage? Old battery?
Didn't think about that. But at one point when I was trying to reflash, the Accessport had said my battery voltage wasn't in a specific range (11.75-13.125 to the best of my knowledge) but it was actually above those numbers surprisingly. I am indeed due for a new one.