Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

In-depth Suby tuning Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
You are only seeing 11.25 as a max AFR because you are reading off the stock sensor and not using a real wideband.Your IAM is keeping boost/timing down.Cobb generally starts their maps off at 12 while the factory sets it at 8.Max is 16.Here is a great site for learning some tuning info www.enginuity.org also a good book is Jeff Hartman's "How To Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems"
Old 02-20-2007, 12:44 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by Searcher
Hello Ed,

I had been trying to chase you down for some time and get you to road or dyno tune my WRX.

I have an 04 WRX with a COBB AP, Street tuner, Big FP16G w/EVO III wheel, STi pink injectors, APS top mount, Invidia catless exhaust and a turboxs intake.

From what I have seen, when you first load a map, you typically wont see the boost targets that you have set. Cobb says the computer needs to 'learn' the new setup first, then you will see target boost after a few days (up to a week) of driving. If I am seeing 95% wastegate duty cycle immediately, how is the computer keeping the boost down?

I am shooting for 19psi boost from 4k to 5.6k but I am having trouble getting that. The WG duty cycle is 95%+. I know it isnt a mechanical issue as I had been hitting that boost level with a protune using the exact same mechanical setup (nothing mechanical has been changed).

Under high boost, I seem to be locked into an 11.25:1 A/F ratio. Why is that?

Max boost seems to only be seen in 5th gear. Is this observation correct? It seems that ST has no way to get around that. If this is correct, a manual or electronic external boost controller would be the fix... yes?

I have attached a datalog as well as my ST map.

I see that I can add more timing according to my dynamic advance values. According to Cobb, my temps arent bad.

Can you give a novice any pointers here?
I have my check book in hand if you have the desire to put your tuning hat on!!

Thanks,
Ralph
Your A/F ratio will have a big impact on boost levels. So if you could run more boost on your previous tune, I would suspect that it was also richer. You should not be tuning a/f without a wideband. The stock sensor is not accurate bellow about 11.5:1.

Looking at your log and map, I can see that the car is knocking quite a bit above about 5k RPM. You can see that your DA is dropping rapidly but your DA map is actually trying to pick up timing here. When you shoot for no knock, your reported DA values should exactly match your DA map for that RPM/load. Also, it appears that you have not propperly scaled the knock learning load and rpm activation points. This means that while your knock detection system is active and will pull timing in response to knock, it will not learn this behaviour and will cause the engine to encounter knock every time it hits those conditions.

As far as boost control, if you are having issues hitting target boost with reasonable AFR's, I would highly recommend either a 3-port boost solenoid upgrade or a Hallman MBC. The upgraded solenoid will give a great gain over the stocker when tuned propperly, but the MBC will give the best possible response and stability.

I'd be happy to tune your car, assuming its mechanically sound. Feel free to send me an e-mail to ed@eqtuning.com and we can figure it out.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 12:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
:making a mental note of the original post date and not asking Ed questions about stuff he posted in "that new thread":
Old 02-20-2007, 01:24 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by MBasile
:making a mental note of the original post date and not asking Ed questions about stuff he posted in "that new thread":
Haha... a thread spanning 1.5 years with all of 18 posts. Sounds about right for this forum