Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

confused about tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 04:06 AM

Car Info: Silver 03 WRX wagon
Question confused about tuning

so im completely lost on the tuning concept. when tuning, how do you know what to tune and how to adjust each figure? is it completely experimental? if im running a blitz nur spec cat back with a pde downpipe and a hks ssqv blow off valve, how do i know how to tune this? i really want to get some sort of new ecu so i can really get down and dirty with my car, but im so confused i have no idea where to start. please anyone give me any information they have on anything and everything i need to know about tuning! also, does anyone have any experience with the aem ems? thanks.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally posted by 03boostedwrx
can cause results that you will not be happy with.
What he's trying to say is:
YOU COULD BLOW IT THE **** UP

Seriously, anyone can do it. It just takes time to do your research. I'm not saying you're gonna necessarily be able to post up world records, but with time things will become clearer.

I will tell you to do a search. I, for one, bought a UTEC with zero knowledge (probably a little backwards) and have spent many hours studying, tweaking, experimenting....and I'm still less than a novice.

Add fuel or reduce timing to eliminate knock.
Buy or borrow a WBo2 kit.
Buy an EGT gauge.
Make friends with someone who has an idea of what they're doing.
Buy a knock-link.
Buy a power-meter or g-tech.

What's great about all of this tuning business is that it's your car so you can do whatever you want to it and ask any questions you want. Be prepared to be beat up a bit because you have less knowledge than some others. If you're humble and earnest, and ask specific questions, you'll be surprised by how many expert tuners are willing to answer your questions and help you out.