Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

To Cobb or not to Cobb?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS
To Cobb or not to Cobb?

Car: 2012 WRX 100% stock

Plans: axle or catback exhaust, KnN drop in filter (unless this isn't safe w/o tune), that's pretty much it but I will do suspension after warranty is up.

I'm used to a 240sx with an SR20det swap. After a we rebuilt the engine, I had small mods. Full 3" turbo back exhaust, huge FMIC, boosting 15psi comfortably and safely. I was fine with that, so driving my car now is enough for me. I'm not looking for quarter mile times, I'll probably only get into Autocross with this car.

I was told it was a really good idea to get an AP ASAP, the stock ECU map is kinda crap. My question and reason for posting is, would an AP really benefit someone like me? After reading more info about it, I found myself wanting to just play with an AP, but not sure if spending $600 is a good idea if I just wanna "play" with it. Loving the features, hating reading people with bad experiences.

Maybe taking my car to a tuner? As I said, I'm not going to be doing much, if any, power mods, maybe this is a better route? I don't wanna mess with open source, but i do want to see what a better map can do for my car. MPG is important for me, but I understand that is not why I drive this car lol. If a new tune can help with that, I would be even happier.

Sorry if this is such an open question, but I'm trying to learn and I figured asking about my situation would be a good way to jump start my learning.

Cobb AP, find a shop for a "basic" tune (if it exist), or don't bother with anything and just love my car?

Thank you very much in advance.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
IMHO

With the simple mods you are planning to run I do not think a tune is needed.

Unless you are going for a turbo back, and an intake. You can get about 10-20 hp out of just a better tune.

If I had it all to do over again I would have just gotten a tactrix cable and open source, but some tuners are on contract with COBB and cannot tune open source.

For the functionality the AP is pretty cool, but I have found mine sits in the glove box 98% of the time. Not knocking the product its great but it depends on what YOU want
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
^^^ exactly, heh i was thinking of the same thing. I would only say you'd need it the most when you start playing around with piping (downpipe, uppipe, header...etc)....
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

So what's up with the stock ECU mapping? When people say its trash, are they just bashing it cuz they didn't get "mad tyte horsepower" with it lol?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Lol. I think its more of a placebo ...figure you spend 600+ for a product in hope to have serious gains. The reality of it is..you can only go so far with bookshelf maps. The real power is getting it tuned from a shop like GST or ED at EQ tune .. the ap allow the ease of switching maps ....I used it to measure boost after I got my car tuned...other wise it pretty much stays in the glove compartment ..Hah
Old 04-05-2012, 02:50 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
I think for what you want maybe the cobb will be good for you.As stated the ease of switching maps,that can help you down the road if you plan to add something else.Im also on the same boat as you i want a tune but to be realistic i dont want to tune every time i get a part on.Right now i have a cbe,jdm v7 sti catless up pipe (not in yet)and picking up a used AP.I will run stage 1 for now then later when i get the cobb sf inatke and a down pipe i can go to stage 2.My plan is to get to stage 3 so it works great for me as i can use each map.Also like you said has other features you can use,Anit theft,econo mode to save gas,valet data log,etc.I would just get a used one they go anywere from 350-400.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
I got a check engine light last night.

The AP allowed my to check the code, and clear it.

But you can get one on amazon for $16 bucks.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by LocalStreetHero
Car: 2012 WRX 100% stock

Plans: axle or catback exhaust, KnN drop in filter (unless this isn't safe w/o tune), that's pretty much it but I will do suspension after warranty is up.

I'm used to a 240sx with an SR20det swap. After a we rebuilt the engine, I had small mods. Full 3" turbo back exhaust, huge FMIC, boosting 15psi comfortably and safely. I was fine with that, so driving my car now is enough for me. I'm not looking for quarter mile times, I'll probably only get into Autocross with this car.

I was told it was a really good idea to get an AP ASAP, the stock ECU map is kinda crap. My question and reason for posting is, would an AP really benefit someone like me? After reading more info about it, I found myself wanting to just play with an AP, but not sure if spending $600 is a good idea if I just wanna "play" with it. Loving the features, hating reading people with bad experiences.

Maybe taking my car to a tuner? As I said, I'm not going to be doing much, if any, power mods, maybe this is a better route? I don't wanna mess with open source, but i do want to see what a better map can do for my car. MPG is important for me, but I understand that is not why I drive this car lol. If a new tune can help with that, I would be even happier.

Sorry if this is such an open question, but I'm trying to learn and I figured asking about my situation would be a good way to jump start my learning.

Cobb AP, find a shop for a "basic" tune (if it exist), or don't bother with anything and just love my car?

Thank you very much in advance.
I would highly recommend getting an AP for your car. The stock tune in the newer cars is indeed crap and causes a nasty lean condition bellow 4k RPM that causes knock, hesitations, and in general a rough powerband. I would personally never recommend adding any mods at all with a stock tune as they will only exaggerate the inherent problems with the tune. At the very least pick up an AP and run one of their OTS maps. They will be safer than the stock tune and still provide some decent power and mpg gains. Then once you settle on a setup that you'll be keeping for a long time, get a good custom tune to optimize your setup. A good tune will give you nice power gains over the Cobb map as well as improve response, drivability, and make the car run smoother all around. This will also be much better on your engine over time.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 04-08-2012, 08:39 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Shayhan27

If I had it all to do over again I would have just gotten a tactrix cable and open source, but some tuners are on contract with COBB and cannot tune open source.

For the functionality the AP is pretty cool, but I have found mine sits in the glove box 98% of the time. Not knocking the product its great but it depends on what YOU want

No tuners are technically under contract with Cobb to not tune with any other tuning platforms/tools. Some tuners simply choose not to offer open source tuning for various reasons such as protection of their maps, complexity of the tools, ease of use, compatibility of their base map database, etc.

While I offer open source tuning for older cars, I do not offer it for any 2010+ applications as the open source tools have not evolved as much for these newer cars and do not offer the same level of control as Cobb's software. In fact with the latest updates from Cobb, I often strongly that recommend even older cars with more complicated setups switch to the AP as Cobb's software gives many more options and has access to more critical maps than the open source tools. For simple setups, however, open source is still a viable option.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 04-08-2012, 08:48 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

So what's up with the stock ECU mapping? When people say its trash, are they just bashing it cuz they didn't get "mad tyte horsepower" with it lol?
The MAIN problem with the stock mapping is that Subaru is forced to run what's called an open loop switchover delay. Basically this means that when you get into boost, the ECU must keep the system very lean for 3-4 seconds before switching to open loop fueling and enrichening the system for the heavy load. So when you do a dyno pull for example, you will see full boost come in around 3000RPM but the ECU will keep the a/f very lean until after 4000RPM. This creates very high cylinder temperatures and causes knock on our 91 Octane fuel. Then in an attempt to cool the engine, the ECU goes extremely rich for the rest of the powerband. This causes a reduction in power, bad mpg, and an overall rough powerband.

This delay is mandated by the EPA because they believe it reduces emissions and increases mpg in the long run. In reality it does neither and only hurts performance and potentially wears out the engine at a faster rate. Any decent tune will disable this delay and that alone will make the car run much smoother and more consistently. FYI, this delay was first implemented in the WRX in 2004 and in the STI in 2007.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
Ed, you're the man. So much great info!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Wow thank you so much, I really appreciate all the info. Just got my windows tinted so AP is going to have to wait till pay day.

One more Q on the AP, would using one with barely 1000 miles on my car a good idea? I haven't had any problems, so while I knock on wood, I doubt this is a lemon.

What OTS from Cobb would I run? Ok that was 2 questions. Lol.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Wow thank you so much, I really appreciate all the info. Just got my windows tinted so AP is going to have to wait till pay day.

One more Q on the AP, would using one with barely 1000 miles on my car a good idea? I haven't had any problems, so while I knock on wood, I doubt this is a lemon.

What OTS from Cobb would I run? Ok that was 2 questions. Lol.
I actually recommend running an AP even for break-in... so 1000 miles is no problem at all.

You would run the Cobb Stage 1 ACN map. You may need to try the LWG or HWG maps if you're not hitting the right boost levels.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 AM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru WRX DGM Sedan
Subscribed. Good info. Thanks, Ed.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 AM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Tantric Cable, Rommraider software and Torqued Performance Stage 1 tune. That is my setup and couldn't be any happier.

PS, I had a AP and find the Tantric Cable to be just as capable as the AP for tuning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To Cobb or not to Cobb?