Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Cobb maping question aftermarket intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 2007 STI
Cobb maping question aftermarket intake

soo i just finished downloading all the maps for 2007 Sti, but i just noticed that the instruction say that i must have a STOCK Intake system. which i have a short ram nuespeed pipe/blitz uras filter. i was wondering what the solution for this is? has anyone else done this? does it matter? i am i able to safely just install acn91 map and have everything run fine? my friend has been running this intake for a while and had no problem himself with it, so i was wondering if there was a way that i would test for this problem. i know the suggestions out there would be that i protune it, but i dont see the benefit of protuning just an aftermarket intake. if someone could clarify this for me, but telling me if anyone else here is just running an aftermarket intake without problems, if also its a common practice that everyone does it. i do feel earlier spool on my turbo, and i am aware that it maybe running lean. soo if i could get some input.. that be great, thanks.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:33 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
I had a intake on acn91 Stage 1 tune. Then got a full turboback and now running 2. You'll be fine.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
It depends entirely on the intake. If it retains the stock diameter and doesn't throw the MAF off significantly, it should be ok on the base map. Most intakes, however, do skew the MAF curve which can throw off both a/f and ignition advance. This can of course lead to engine damage.

To be on the safe side, I would recommend not running the intake until you assemble a setup that you will be happy with for an extended period of time. At this point, you can add the intake in and get a good custom tune for the entire setup.

Thanks
-- Ed