Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

is ceramic REALLY needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 09:33 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Frist of all, your CAI will do nothing for you in regards to making your engine run cooler. It will not even give you colder air into your engine as the air still goes into your exhaust gas driven turbine and gets heated up, negating your fancy cold air intake...

Now ceramic coating from the likes of JetHot or SwainTech do not radiate heat. It is designed to keep heat in and lower underhood temps. So ceramic coating WOULD benefit you if you did it. Even the header alone should lower temps a tad because thin wall steel retains less heat then stock cast iron manifolds.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:42 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX sedan
I_Fry_Rice,

the most thermodynamically efficient headers are the best-insulated. Stainless steel is excellent because it has a very low thermal conductivity - i.e. it doesn't dissipate a lot of heat. The ceramic coat thickens the tube; ceramic also has a much lower thermal conductivity so the coating thickness + lower conductivity increases the header's overall thermal resistance. This means the hot flowing exhaust gas inside the header tube stays hot and the engine bay outside remains cooler.

Why is this good? It's about exhaust gas flow velocity. The less energy your exhaust gas wastes radiating heat into the surroundings, the more it can use to propel itself through the header. Think of a finite packet of exhaust gas flowing through the exhaust header and eventually out the tailpipe. It is imparted a fixed amount of energy that cannot be destroyed . . . only converted from one form into another. Gas velocity is one form of energy. Another is heat (i.e. wasted energy). Losing heat to the surroundings means your packet of gas loses some of its energy potential. Keeping the exhaust gas as hot as possible all the way through the exhaust system maximizes its flow velocity.

Why is flow velocity good? Because your engine needs to breathe properly to generate max power output. You want your combustion products to get the hell out of the cylinder so there's room for O2 + fuel. Faster flowing exhaust means less exhaust-line pressure near the cylinder. This "encourages" combustion products to move into the exhaust line. Also, faster flowing exhaust spools your turbocharger faster, which obviously reduces turbo-lag.

You might hear about problems with high exhaust gas temperatures (EGTs) and problems down the line . . . like in your catalytic converters. That's more from playing with your engine timing and A/F mixtures. I doubt a ceramic coated exhaust header alone would cause those problems, but you might wanna check just to be sure.

Dave.

Last edited by Dave99; 03-10-2003 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:05 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
My header/upipe

is being JetHot coated. Haven't decided whether to wrap it or not. If you have a TMIC, I would think you would want to reduce under hood temperatures.

San