Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

can I use COBB AP v1 + street tuner software to safely increase boost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:37 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX
can I use COBB AP v1 + street tuner software to safely increase boost?

I have the AP v1 and was wondering if the street tuner software will let me safely increase boost. Currently running stage 2. Don't have a boost gauge yet, so I don't know what I'm currently running.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:15 PM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
if u dont have any experience tuning, then I suggest u not do it. Go to a certified tuner.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 PM

So, in your opinion, the street tuner software will or won't increase boost?

Let's say theoretically, if someone wanted to increase boost on their WRX and had an AP v1 and street tuner software, could they? Or would that person have to look into another form of controlling the boost, like the seperate electronic and manual boost controllers available.

If you increase boost with a manual boost controller, is the ECU smart enough to accomodate for it? Can you increase boost in a controlled manner as to not exceed the limits of the stock turbo and motor? If you increase boost, do you have to increase any other parameters for the motor to run correctly, or will the ECU sense that the boost is at a certain amount and according to that amount of boost, can it run the motor correctly?

I am hoping to get a little info about what all is involved if I wanted to increase boost. Is there any references that you might be able to recommend?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:31 PM

It looks like this might work:

The ApexI AVC-R Boost Controller:

To answer my question before about setting the boost and letting the CPU processor do the rest, this unit will do this. It doesn't sound like the car's ECU has the ability to accomodate for more boost, but it sounds like this unit can:

Despite all of the complex features included the unit, the AVC-R is flexible enough to be used by beginners. Entry level users need only to input a desired boost level and the AVC-R's trademark self learning CPU processor does the rest.

But I guess this goes back to my initial question: Do I really need this?

Or will the Cobb AP v1 + street tuner software have this functionality? If so, I wouldn't have to buy the AVC-R.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:59 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Yes it can.
Make sure you monitor the essentials...
Old 07-05-2008, 01:19 PM

Car Info: sold 2012 wrx sedan (sold 02 WRX wagon)
You can adjust boost with the AP and Street Tuner. Just turning up the boost is not a good idea.

If you don't know what you are doing you could cause yourself some major problems. You would be better off getting a custom tune by a professional tuner.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:52 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
this might help out a bit

https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/manual-boost-controllers-187204/