Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Apexi AVC-R troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 07:36 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
During these surges what is the boost at and at what RPM?

You could be experiencing PTFB or part throttle full boost and along with high EGT's, you could get some pulled back timing.

I dont know though as I had an AVC-R and loved what it could do for my car... 13.5 @99MPH

Perhaps you may also want to check out the grounding mod as many have reported that it helps with the surging/jerkines problem on some cars.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 03 Rex: HKS, Injen, Apexi, Perrin, Rota
Thumbs up here's what I'm doin...

here's my settings, let me know if it helps. its a three page attachment, i haven't attached anything before, so i hope it comes out; sorry i didn't see your dilema sooner.

later dude, The Professor

okay, so it won't attach a Word file, Imma try and copy/paste it and see what happens; there are a few little charts of the settings, so I don't know if it will be legible when it pastes...

ruh-roh, it kinda worked, I'm gonna fix it; here you go, enjoy...

My AVC-R settings on a MY03 WRX

Let us first dispense with the boring stuff:

Car: MY03 Subaru WRX 5spd 2.0L boxer
My mods: HKS hyper exhaust (cat-back), Injen CAI (car runs rich stock right… and its my only bling, and even if it is hidden under the hood!), Apexi TT (makes for lots of grocery parking lot conversations with big fuzzy V-8 guys…), 17” bronze sub-zero’s (the guys at work just don’t get it…), and a Perrin rear anti-sway bar (kicks the ****!, around, its fun to be able to see where you’re going through the rearview mirror, eh)

On my “A” setting I develop 1.06 kg/cm2 of boost right around 2900 and hold it to 6500 where I have it set at .95 for safety reasons, but then it holds the .95 to red yah baby that’s what I’m talking about!!!

Ok kids, lets start with the basics; set the initial D/S to something between 50 and 60, and set the boost to whatever you want; though too much is bad, you know that, right… After some experimenting, I set mine as stated above, and it made some serious HP on the buttdyno2000; turn the learn function on in all gears and get ready to thrash yo rex in all those gears!!! I ran it through a local canyon probably 20 or thirty times (with the learn function on) to get consistent boost. But now its all good…

Set the monitor mode to “4 channel”
(I have the select screen set like this:
2 Bst 1 Thr
3Rev Sol
4Spd Inj

With those settings; if you select the analog gauge display: it will show the throttle position on the left and boost on the right in dials that look just like the gauges you’d mount on the dash, very cool to watch, eh) but do whatever you want, what am I, yo daddy???

Car Sel screen:

Cyl Spd Thr
4 4 (arrow that points up to the right)

Sen Sel screen:

1.Relative1

Grph Scl screen:

Bst 2.0 kg/cm2
NE 7000rpm
Spd 240 km/h

F/B Speed screen: (once I got these dialed in, thanks to Alta up here in Oregon, she ran like a champ!)

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
4 3 2 1 1

Start Duty screen: (I first messed with these and got HUGE boost spikes, vewwwy vewwwwy scawwwey!)

All are set to 0 (very important in my opinion, but what do I know…)

Gear Judge screen: (I don’t yet know if these really are
correct, but the thing works… and the
Beastie Boys still rock!!!
Mostly their old stuff though)

1 120 N/S 255
2 75
3 50
4 35
5 25

NE points screen: (the rationale for these is that you want full and more precise control of boost at higher rpms right, and you are less worried what the boost is set at around 2000 or 2500 rpm mostly because you can’t develop it until around 3000 anyways…)

I’m gonna make a little graph for ya here with NE points and boost & duty settings (duty was learned, mind you) for both my A and B settings.

A B
N/E RPM Bst D/S Bst D/S

1 3500 1.05 48 .90 47
2 4000 1.05 48 .90 47
3 4500 1.05 48 .90 47
4 5000 1.05 50 .90 47
5 5500 1.05 48 .90 47
6 6000 1.05 55 .90 46
7 6500 .95 53 .90 43
8 7000 .95 47 .90 47

I think that’s all, if I forgot something, just let me know.

I’m outta here, Bennie "The Professor"

btw, I'm 26 and kind of responsible, just in case you were wondering...

Standard Disclaimer at the bizzzottom of the pizzzzage:

“I’m not responsible if you break your car,
but these are the settings I use.”
Old 06-11-2003, 08:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
madrex,

that is a really great, detailed explanation of what you have set up on your AVC-R. I know a lot of drivers have been asking questions related to stuff like this. You just saved some folks A LOT of time. where were you 6 months ago???

Thanks
Old 06-11-2003, 11:03 PM

Car Info: 03 Rex: HKS, Injen, Apexi, Perrin, Rota
Thumbs up so sorry

hey man, I do apologize for coming in late, but I didn't even own a suby six months ago. I've been using and abusing you guys for questions and problems I've had, so I thought I'd give a little love back. I've been emailing a guy back east with help for the AVC-R and realized that everyone else could probably benefit from the stuff too. Hope it helps. I've also had a bunch of help from the guys at Alta here in Oregon (helps that they're only a half-hour away from me) and so far, they've been spot on with all their help. they don't have a dyno though, yet...

one thing I am working on right now is suspension options, see my post over in the suspension forum under the thread "not a fan of coilovers" my question is near the bottom of the first page.

thanks, the professor