Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

2006 WRX - Cobb Stage 1 AccessPort... is it worth the money??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:33 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX TR
2006 WRX - Cobb Stage 1 AccessPort... is it worth the money??

Hi guys, I'm brand new here, and would really appreciate some advice from the experts... I've got a stock 06 WRX.

If I were to ONLY upgrade to the Cobb Stage 1 Accessprot, and no further, would I notice any worthwhile increase in the vehicles overall performance?

I've been reading through threads, but still can't get a clear idea as to whether it would be a worthwhile $650* to buy just the Accessport. I won't be planning to upgrade to Stage 2 because of the warrenty issues, so I really need to get a better idea of how much difference the AP alone will make to the vehicles performance.

The only mechanical mods I may make over time would be an SPT catback exhast through Subaru, and a better air filter.... just the get some more sound out of the car.

Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated.

Nanna
Old 03-23-2006, 09:47 PM

It all depends on what you want out if it. I'm personally using cobb ap stage 2 and I love it. If you were to just get an accessport and nothing more, then it's worth the money and you'll like it until you get used to the power.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:22 AM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
you will notice the difference. even at stage 1. plus, its a foundation for other mods later down the road. i am currently at stage 1 in my 05 wrx and will probably go into stage 2 this summer. warranty be damned! lol
Old 03-24-2006, 04:05 PM

Damn the warrenty - I can imagine the temptation must be painfull once you've installed stage 1! lol.

Thanks for the advice guys, it's starting to sound like a good idea to get one.

On the performance front... Ok this is no way to judge this product overall, but does Stage 1 alone make much difference to the 0-60 time for example?

Last edited by Nanna Moon; 03-24-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:46 PM

Car Info: 2006 wrx
hey i saw that you were intristed in the exhaust and i just bougt a turbo back exhaust from megan and its real great horse power gains and great sound and way cheaper $525 is what they usally run just an idea cus i too was going to buy a spt but then i was thinking hks carbon ti but then i saw the horse power gains and megan is the way to go
Old 03-25-2006, 06:51 AM

Ah, I'll look into that Megan exhaust... sounds like a possible alternative. As mentioned, the only concern is doing something that voids the warrenty - dont wanna get caught short one day!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 03 SVTF / Compedition Orange
nanna - im actually looking to do the exact same thing to my 06wrx. i was thinking of just getting the AP stg 1 and be done till i had more funding - ive got quite a debt racked up from my photography equipment, and i dont have the loads of dollars to drop on the mods.

if you get the AP before i do, let me know how you like it.

take care
Old 03-26-2006, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
I'm planning to do stage 1 AP only as well, at least until the 30k warranty runs out. The other thing I really like is:

- the valet map, or security map (real time maps)
- boost data recording (I think it does this)
- the ability to revert back if necessary
- the future growth if I change my mind about mods

But I'm only considering the $650 worth it for these things because it's a HOBBY to do this. If you're considering no mods, you must be using this as a street car, and as such, the power is totally adequate stock. AP stage 1 will not suddenly make you be able to merge on to the freeway where before you couldn't.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:20 AM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
For the 06 the Stg1 gains aren't like they were for the 05s and before, but there are still gains.

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=3;t=009867

From stock to stg 1 10.2hp and 18.5lb-ft gain.

Stg 2 is the interesting one for the 06s. From stg1 to stg2 22.7hp and 36.9lb-ft gain which comes out to 225whp and 271lb-ft which is about where a stock STi dynos.

Having a protune is a good thing as well.

Oh and for the above post, you can look at real time boost but you cannot log it, you can use the cobb cable and download one of the Tari racing apps(free) and datalog engine params.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:06 PM

Hey, thanks for the further info guys + the link Illusion... been a great help

Like you say, if it's only going to be a street car, why modify it, true, but I guess it's just a case that the grass is always greener....

The thought was that if Stage 1 did make a significant difference then it would be worth the investment... but if not, then it would be best not to bother.

If I do get one, I'll be sure to repost agphotography and let you know how the difference feels / would defo be keen to hear if you get it before. Been driving a massive SUV all evening... after 3 hours in one of thoes, you certainly learn to appreciate again the stock performance of a Sccoby! lol.

Nanna
Old 03-29-2006, 10:56 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Originally Posted by Nanna Moon
Hey, thanks for the further info guys + the link Illusion... been a great help

Like you say, if it's only going to be a street car, why modify it, true, but I guess it's just a case that the grass is always greener....

The thought was that if Stage 1 did make a significant difference then it would be worth the investment... but if not, then it would be best not to bother.

If I do get one, I'll be sure to repost agphotography and let you know how the difference feels / would defo be keen to hear if you get it before. Been driving a massive SUV all evening... after 3 hours in one of thoes, you certainly learn to appreciate again the stock performance of a Sccoby! lol.

Nanna
For an 06 I think a turbo back and accessport would be a great daily driver mod. Sti Power sounds good to me. Depending on the turbo back it's a great relatively inexpensive upgrade and well worth the power. 10hp and 18lb-ft isn't anything to scoff at for the base stg 1, I'm willing to bet the trusty old butt dyno would be able to tell the difference, stg 2 you'd have to be numb to not be able to tell ( 35hp and 55lb-ft added to the ground from adding a chip and an exhaust is mighty nice, not to mention coming on boost earlier).
Old 04-24-2006, 04:06 PM

Car Info: 08 STi
I did stage one on my 06, and though the power is not significantly increased, it way more drivable. boost just kicks right in at 2500, and smooth all the way to redline. This is way more than enough for city driving.

After a month though, I feel the car to be slower... getting used to it. The need for more power is surging, like a narcotic. It's a bad habit. lol
Old 05-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX Wagon SGM MT
Originally Posted by Nanna Moon
Hi guys, I'm brand new here, and would really appreciate some advice from the experts... I've got a stock 06 WRX.

If I were to ONLY upgrade to the Cobb Stage 1 Accessprot, and no further, would I notice any worthwhile increase in the vehicles overall performance?

I've been reading through threads, but still can't get a clear idea as to whether it would be a worthwhile $650* to buy just the Accessport. I won't be planning to upgrade to Stage 2 because of the warrenty issues, so I really need to get a better idea of how much difference the AP alone will make to the vehicles performance.

The only mechanical mods I may make over time would be an SPT catback exhast through Subaru, and a better air filter.... just the get some more sound out of the car.

Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated.

Nanna
Nanna, I have an 06 WRX Wagon M/T and I am going to stop at AP Stage 1.

For the most part the previous replies sum it up. It completely depends on your definition of a "worthwhile increase in the vehicles overall performance". If you are looking for a significantly measurable, kick in the pants increase, then you will probably need to continue on to Stage 2 or higher. For what seems like the majority of the people that post, they crave/need/want more & more power. And that is fine.

If you consider better driveability through smoother throttle response and a nice/noticeable torque gain in the daily driving rev range a "worthwhile increase in the vehicles overall performance" then Stage 1 is perfect for you.

I will never go to the drags or run track days. I no longer "race" people on the street (family man now). I did however purchase this car because I enjoy "spirited" driving. The AP Stage 1 suits this just fine.

As for those that become "use to the power" and feel like you need more, try this: Have someone you trust take you for a ride in your own car. Sitting in the passenger seat of your car while someone else pushes the limits is a sure way to remind you how much power and performance you already have.

Cheers
Old 05-28-2006, 12:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
...or just drive a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder for a day or two
Old 05-28-2006, 09:31 AM

Car Info: 04 STI
Originally Posted by Boost Addict
...or just drive a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder for a day or two

for sure, I drive a lightly modded 06 WRX, and I test drove a range of Subaru's at the dealer the other day for kicks, most were non-turbo or stock turbo'd, and I realized how quick my car was compared to both

I'd also like to go with an AP, but I might be switching to a Legacy GT in the future and doing more of that kind of stuff to it.

Quick Reply: 2006 WRX - Cobb Stage 1 AccessPort... is it worth the money??