Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

2.5 swap for my 04 wrx?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Car Info: 2004 Hybrid WRB WRX
2.5 swap for my 04 wrx?

Right now I am waiting on a shop to diagnose my problem with my engine in my 04 wrx. If it is a bent valve, the estimated costwill be around $1500, and on gst motorsports they are selling a OEM EJ257 Short Block which is a 2.5, unlike my stock 2.0. It says it will bolt in to any us made wrx or sti 04 and above. If I end up getting the new motor, would that mean i would need a new tranny? I am pretty sure I do, but I am new to the wrx world, and I need to learn a lot more before I do anything else.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 PM

http://www.gstmotorsports.com/store/...roducts_id=554

This is the motor i found, which only costs 2 thousand.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
It depends on how many miles is on the tranny now, your current mods, and mods planned in the future. For anything stage2 and below, you shouldn't need a new tranny.
Even with the new EJ257 in, as long as you treat the transmission well, you should be fine.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM

Well the only reason I was worried about the 2.5 was because usaully thats a 6 speed on an sti, and I only have a 5 speed 2.0 right now, and i was wondering if I had to change the tranny to fit the six speed, but if it fits my stock wrx tranny, that would be awesome. I am just guessing, haha I probably sound stupid asking that. The only mods i have is exhaust really. I just bought the car so I am not to sure how it has been treated before but the tranny seems fine to me.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
I have been running a 30r and a wrx trany for about a year with no problems, drive snark and your 5 speed can take some good power. I'm just now getting my 6 speed installed.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
Well its a WRX so probably not in pristine condition, but it should be fine. Don't slam through the gears and you'll be fine.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 PM

Car Info: EQ Built/Tuned WRX
You will be fine with the swap, i currently have a 2.5 in my wrx with the stock 5 spd transmission, it holds up good so far, it has about 90,000 miles on the transmission... also i do not slam gears, doesnt mean i dont drive my car hard you will love the 2.5 in there...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by blue04WRX
You will be fine with the swap, i currently have a 2.5 in my wrx with the stock 5 spd transmission, it holds up good so far, it has about 90,000 miles on the transmission... also i do not slam gears, doesnt mean i dont drive my car hard you will love the 2.5 in there...
That is so great to hear that it runs well with that amount of miles! I was talking to my brother about getting this motor, though he is a honda mechanic, and he thinks it is going to strain alot of others things causeing them to wear down alot quicker, like the clutch ect. Have you have to replace anything more often or sooner then you thought you had to?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
ive got around 108,000 miles on my stock 5 speed tranny and ive been running my 2.5 motor for the last 3,000 or so
Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
06/07 wrx's came with the 2.5 motor and a 5 speed tranny so there shouldnt be a problem.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by kbeetz
06/07 wrx's came with the 2.5 motor and a 5 speed tranny so there shouldnt be a problem.
Yeah that is interesting. I haven't really researched that much wrx specs out of my year of 04-05.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Urglegrew
That is so great to hear that it runs well with that amount of miles! I was talking to my brother about getting this motor, though he is a honda mechanic, and he thinks it is going to strain alot of others things causeing them to wear down alot quicker, like the clutch ect. Have you have to replace anything more often or sooner then you thought you had to?
i got everything taken care of at once, new act clutch, lighter flywheel, turbo-back exhaust, etc. Now i am gonna tell you one thing, DO NOT take it to someone that is just a "mechanic" please dont take it the wrong way, im not in any way saying anything bad about your brother, just saying in general, not everybody knows how to work on a subaru. I learned the hard way, as some people on this forum know my motor had to get rebuilt twice because the first build was a joke... not only that but it cost me a S*** load of money... do it right the first time take it to a reputable shop such as EQ tuning, dbtuned, gst motorsports, you get my drift... not the dealership, you will be a lot more happier with your set up with the work that comes out of the shops i named above... i went to EQ tuning, very great service, and the work done their is more than exceptional... Give EQ tuning a call, Ed is a great guy and will talk you through whatever you wanna know, and answer any and all questions you have about your car...
Old 05-19-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by blue04WRX
i got everything taken care of at once, new act clutch, lighter flywheel, turbo-back exhaust, etc. Now i am gonna tell you one thing, DO NOT take it to someone that is just a "mechanic" please dont take it the wrong way, im not in any way saying anything bad about your brother, just saying in general, not everybody knows how to work on a subaru. I learned the hard way, as some people on this forum know my motor had to get rebuilt twice because the first build was a joke... not only that but it cost me a S*** load of money... do it right the first time take it to a reputable shop such as EQ tuning, dbtuned, gst motorsports, you get my drift... not the dealership, you will be a lot more happier with your set up with the work that comes out of the shops i named above... i went to EQ tuning, very great service, and the work done their is more than exceptional... Give EQ tuning a call, Ed is a great guy and will talk you through whatever you wanna know, and answer any and all questions you have about your car...

Haha I am actually getting it diagnosed at GST today! Thanks for the advice, and I would never let my brother do anything this important to my car for sure! That is pretty awesome how you got the new clutch and everything at the same time, I am sure that was a good idea, and your car is in great shape because of it. I don't have the money to do that but it is something i plan to do slowly one at a time in the future.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:39 AM

I was wondering if gst would give me a discount on the engine or labor if i gave them my old engine to part out or do whatever with since it only has 52k on it? Has anyone else done something like this?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Urglegrew
I was wondering if gst would give me a discount on the engine or labor if i gave them my old engine to part out or do whatever with since it only has 52k on it? Has anyone else done something like this?
im not sure how they work over there... is it a rebuilt 2.5 with aftermarket internals they are selling? or is it a stock subaru built 2.5 motor they are selling? and if you can somehow afford the clutch and flywheel, that would be the best since everything is already out you might as well get it done, save you money in labor in the future...

Quick Reply: 2.5 swap for my 04 wrx?