Dumpster Lost a post? Look for it here. Dirty, vulgar, and other offensive post are RIP here and emptied monthly.

Help Me Keep My Tints!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 05:24 AM

Car Info: RS 2.5 silver
Exclamation Help Me Keep My Tints!

I have a silver 2001 rs with sick tints on all windows (except windshield) and I live in VT. Last night I got pulled over and was told I had to remove the front driver's side and passenger's side tints IMMEDIATELY. The ***** cop works between my house and my job, so I KNOW he'll see me again. The only solution is this:
In VT it's legal to have those front tints if they're FACTORY and not after market. Does Subaru make factory tinted windows for the impreza? Any thoughts on where I can get some?

FU(K the police, help me keep my tints!

thanks
Shazaam
Old 10-17-2003, 01:00 AM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
damn the man
Old 10-17-2003, 07:17 AM

Still looking

I know it's not worth it to pay the factory to have it done, I guess I'm hoping to find a set of windows that have been factory tinted. I don't know...

I'm pretty sure that even if the dealer did it, if it's not the type of tinting that's IN the glass, it doesn't count.

Damn, it looks so sweet and I really want to screw this cop. He was such a dick about it.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:55 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
Well, shazaam, according to this little provision of Vermont law, you better get used to having no tints on your side windows. I quote from 23 VSA §1125 - Obstructing Windshields:

§ 1125. OBSTRUCTING WINDSHIELDS

(a) No person shall paste, stick or paint advertising matter or other things on or over any transparent part of a motor vehicle windshield, vent windows or side windows located immediately to the left and right of the operator, nor hang any object, other than a rear view mirror, in back of the windshield except as follows:

(1) in a space not over four inches high and 12 inches long in the lower right-hand corner of the windshield;

(2) in such space as the commissioner of motor vehicles may specify for location of any sticker required by governmental regulation;

(3) in a space not over two inches high and two and one-half inches long in the upper left-hand corner of the windshield;

(4) by persons employed by the federal, state or local government and volunteer emergency responders operating authorized emergency vehicles who may place any necessary equipment in back of the windshield of the vehicle, provided the equipment does not interfere with the operator’s control of the driving mechanism of the vehicle;

(5) on a motor vehicle that is for sale by a licensed automobile dealer prior to the sale of the vehicle, in a space not over three inches high and six inches long in the upper left-hand corner of the windshield, and in a space not over four inches high and 18 inches long in the upper right-hand corner of the windshield.

(b) The rear side windows and the back window may be obstructed only if the motor vehicle is equipped on each side with a securely attached mirror, which provides the operator with a clear view of the roadway in the rear and on both sides of the motor vehicle.

Get used to being tintless, 'cause it's the law. If you don't like it, take it up with your local legislators.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:12 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
Here's another quote, straight out of the vehicle inspection manual, available at http://www.dmv.state.vt.us/documents...tionManual.pdf, Page 104:

Reject vehicle if:

(a) Glazed surfaces contain any stickers not permitted by law or regulation.

(b) Unauthorized tinting material has been used. ANY AFTER-MARKET TINTING MATERIAL SPRAYED, PASTED, STUCK OR OTHERWISE APPLIED TO THE WINDSHIELD OR WINDOWS DIRECTLY TO THE RIGHT OR LEFT OF THE DRIVER (emphasis in original)

So, if you had a Vermont shop install that tinting, the shop should have known better, especially if the shop was also a registered inspection station. You were going to lose those tints, either in the manner you did or at your next inspection. If the car was inspected and passed with the tints in place, the shop should be investigated by DMV for failure to comply with the inspection manual.

If you think I'm being unduly harsh, so be it. Comply with the law and I won't be so nasty.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:13 PM

Car Info: PSM 2K2 WRX Wagon
I think that the JDM Imprezas have tints,, but once again I dont think it would be worth finding & inporting them.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:07 AM

Captain Ned-
I assume from you're last post that you're a cop. I want to make a few things clear: I'm not some indiscriminate cop hater nor am I some punk kid who thinks that complying with the law is for wusses. What I am is an otherwise law abiding citizen taking issue with demeanor of an a$$hole cop treating me like a scumbag drug dealer because my windows are tinted.

I'm not going to take up tinted windows with my legislator, as you ludicrously suggested, but I'm also not going to let some dick cop treat me like a criminal because he's having a bad day.

Since the only way for this to not be a total hassle or cost me an arm and a leg is to remove my tints, that's probably what I'll end up doing. Can you blame me for trying to keep my car the way I like it?

Sorry if I'm being nasty, but I won't be talked down to because you have a badge and PDF file.

Have a nice day
Old 10-20-2003, 12:23 PM

Yeah Shazaam - me thinks someone peed in Captain Neds bowl of Cheerios this morning. Don't sweat it senor, as I believe everyone else who's read your post knew what you were actually asking about. I have my STi tinted and completely understand where you're coming from. Sort of echoing NTFF TRUCK14 I would advise you to roll down ALL of your windows before an officer approaches your vehicle, so they can see in as well as is possible. Failing that, if you have encountered an officer who is just out to bust stones, you MAY be able to get a note from an optometrist saying your eyes are especially sensitive - I've heard of this working for a person or two IF you have an eye doc who will help you out. Sorry to hear of your difficulties, sounds as though VT has some fairly harsh laws regarding tint (moreso than other states, anyway).
Old 10-20-2003, 01:24 PM

I rolled down the windows last time I got pulled over (usually I do this anyway- roll down the windows, turn on the overhead light, open the glove compartment and put my hands on the wheel, just to make the cop more comfortable) but the problem was that he had pulled me over BECAUSE of the tints. I drove by him and he saw the windows. I really think that the only thing I can do is remove the tint. Bummer. Thanks for the advice, tho.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:28 PM

Also, to reply to NTFF-> I bought the car out of state with the tints, so no shop is to blame. Unfortunately, Cap'n Ned is right in his facts (I looked up the regs a few days ago, shortly before posting my thread) and NO percentage of tint is allowed. None. The bastards.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:43 AM

But you CAN kill a deer and lay it across your hood. Go figure.

Quick Reply: Help Me Keep My Tints!