Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Woops!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:42 PM

Car Info: 04 EJ207 6mt WRX, 08 Spec B
Woops!

So one morning pulling out of the drive way in reverse my car let out an awful shudder LOL. Put it in first and started to drive away, sounded like I had a popcorn machine underneath my car! It shifts into every gear just fine just sounds like I'm making popcorn.....I'm thinking a tooth or teeth may have broken off, I checked my dipstick and found shavings or chunks on it. Its not like I dumped the clutch on the way out or anything, but I do know these gear boxes are prone to failure when behind modified wrx's. Oh well it lasted awhile 127,000 miles and two clutches (went from stocker to ACT). Haven't had a chance to really diagnose the issue due to deploying soon so it sits in my garage till I get back from Afghan. Any other ideas on issues it could have? Im planning on throwing a Legacy GT gear set in it when I get back any recommendations on what other things I should account for? I am looking into bearings and all new synchro's as well. Thanks....James

Last edited by jam007; 08-06-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
If you hear popcorn definitely don't drive it. Metal parts flying around is never good. Worst case you seize up while driving and eject parts.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 PM

Car Info: 04 EJ207 6mt WRX, 08 Spec B
Originally Posted by johndabrit
If you hear popcorn definitely don't drive it. Metal parts flying around is never good. Worst case you seize up while driving and eject parts.
Yea...No its down for the count, its not going anywhere till I get back and have the parts didnt drive anywhere but back into the garage.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Definitely sounds like you have chunks of gear floating around the trans.

-- Ed