Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Whistle Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 05:22 PM

Whistle Sound

I know this topic has been talked about a lot in hear, but I have a question. I have a 05 WRX and I also am experiencing a whistling sound especially at 65 mph. I took it back to the dealer and after the mechanic inspected the car for the day he has ordered me a new rear differential. Do you think that is what causing the noise or could it be something else?

Noise happens even when you let your foot off of the gas and even when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:10 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by Chip18
I have a 05 WRX and I also am experiencing a whistling sound especially at 65 mph. I took it back to the dealer and after the mechanic inspected the car for the day he has ordered me a new rear differential. Do you think that is what causing the noise or could it be something else?
What did the service technician or service manager state as the reason for the noise or rear diff replacement? They are in a better position to comment on the reason than we are. It's a warranty repair, right?

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 03-19-2005, 03:54 PM

I never got to talk to the service tech. about how he came to the conclusion that it was the rear differential when I went to pick up my car because he left for the day. What the woman told me at the desk was that he ordered me a new rear differential and that is all I know so far. And yes this is under warranty so no cost to me.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:33 PM

For anyone else that may read this or to anyone who has a whinning sound you may need a new rear differential. I just got mine back from the dealer today and no more whinning sound!
Old 03-24-2005, 03:23 PM

Car Info: 05 Subaru Impreza WRX
Thumbs up

Chip -

Please review this post that I started a few days back...

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...ighlight=chirp

I would really appreciate it if you could read that and tell me if it's what you were experiencing too.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Scott, mine is a little different than yours. Your sound is coming in at a lower speed and in any gear. My sound was happening at 65 mph in 4th and 5th gear and only at that speed. Mine was the same as yours in the respect that it only happened at a constant speed and not when you are running through the gears. You also said that you don't hear that sound when you were off of the gas pedal, in my situation I heard the sound when I was off of the gas and even when the clutch was depressed.

It is very hard to describe how mine sounded I call it a whistle, but it is more like a woooooooo sound, if that makes sense.

I would take it to the dealer again and suggest the rear differential because I had mine replaced and the problem has gone away completely!

I hope this helps and I hope your dealership figures it out cause that sound is extremely annoying. Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
I had the same noise when I got my 05. Around 60-65 mph in 4th or 5th it would make this loud "wooooooo" noise. When the dealer drained the rear diff he said he found metal shavings in the fluid. I had my rear diff replaced and the noise went away.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Hmm, I have the exact same "WOOOOOO" sound right at 47-50 MPH in 3rd and 4rth gear. Is there any way to isolate where this is coming from (front/rear differential, clutch?). My dealership changed the fluid in the front/rear differentials and the transmission and it made the sound WORSE, not better!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:38 PM

Tingull, I'm not sure how much a new differential plus labor would cost because my car is still under warranty, sorry.

Meilers, it seems that most people on here who hear this sound have had the fluids replaced and they all say that the sound is still there and/or worse. If your car is still under warranty I wouldn't hesitate to ask them for a new differential or two.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by Chip18
Tingull, I'm not sure how much a new differential plus labor would cost because my car is still under warranty, sorry.

Meilers, it seems that most people on here who hear this sound have had the fluids replaced and they all say that the sound is still there and/or worse. If your car is still under warranty I wouldn't hesitate to ask them for a new differential or two.
Actually, my situation is a little different; for me, the sound DOES go away when I am off the gas or when I put in the clutch.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:40 PM

Talking woo sound

i have an 05..thank god there is a forum for this because everytime on the freeway i hear that sound at cruising 65mph but below that it goes away or above 70mph..thanks..iam going to take mine to the dealer...