Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

viscous clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 PM

Car Info: Impreza WRX 2003
viscous clutch problem?

So I have been having this problem with my car for the past few months (03' WRX).

When I drive around and make turns (left or right and it doesn't have to be sharp) my car makes this popping noise and sometimes kicks back on the steering wheel (slightly). This also only happens when the car is warmed up and has been driven for a bit as it does not happen on a cold start. It also happens in reverse and the longer I drive the car the worse it gets.

Talked to a Subaru tech and he didn't know what the problem was so I was told to just drive it for a little bit longer and to see if the problem gets worse.

I think its my viscous clutch as thats part of the all wheel drive system. I for sure know that it isn't my CV joints or anything like that so I'm kinda stumped.

Anyone else have a problem like this?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:11 PM

Car Info: WRB 18g + Meth (sold) 07 BMW 335i coupe
hm...my car makes the poping noise but i dont think it kicks back on the steering wheel...or at least its too little to notice...i have 02 wrx btw...
Old 01-04-2007, 02:28 PM

does it also only do it when the car is warmed up?

Since it only happens after being driven for a bit that is what leads me to believe its the viscous clutch but if it did it all the time it would lead me else where.

Just trying to figure out what my problem is so i can order the parts and replace as needed.

I would just tear down my tranny and look for myself but right now my WRX is my only ride and any downtime is a bad thing right now.

So just trying to see if someone has had the same problem and what their diagnoses was. Because I only really want to tear down my tranny once and since I have a whole new gear set coming I am wondering if the problem isn't sever enough as to where I can keep driving for a bit till it all gets here....

Dont want to tear it down twice you know?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:58 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Drive Line Knock

Make dam sure the rear axels are cliped in to the rear diff!!!! I had one pop out
It is hard to tell because the viscus take up all the slack.

I had to rebuild rear diff new viscus and rebuild trany and I'm still not done I'm about 2,000 into it and still have 1,000 to go ................Ouch!!!!
Attached Thumbnails viscous clutch problem?-5-left-diff_resize.jpg  
Old 01-11-2007, 10:47 PM

well it was my viscous coupling and got it replaced.

expensive but worth it as it feels sooooo much better now...