Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Congrats! SCS sules.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
my 02 wrx's gears are beginning to grind as well and i don't abuse the transmission or clutch. very disappointing and i'll be bringing my car in for dealer service at my next convenient opportunity. also i have the "updated" clutch assembly that is supposed to be heavier and therefore takes load off the transmission.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
sorry, but what's the grinding sound? is it a loud whine? i have that in 1st and 2nd.

-jbl
Old 07-19-2004, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
well shoot man.

I have a 2004 wrx wagon. No performance mods whatsoever. (sadly)

well I go on this drive to visit my brother...1000 miles total in 5 days.

So this happened a few times in the last couple months. When shifting into 4th gear it'll grind. I just figured I didn't put the clutch in all the way or something stupid like that. (But I know I did)

So on this trip it starts happening more and more. The warmer the car is the more it does it...an since I was driving mountain roads in 100degree weather it was pretty freakin hot. Got so bad as one time it just wouldn't accept it and I had to go strait to 5th.

So yeah... over about 4500 rpms it grinds pretty much every time I put it into 4th. Especially while warm.
From what I understand, its the synchro's going bad. I just changed my tranny fluid with the redline 75w90NS, so its not the gear oil.
I have 23k miles on my car. What do you think the problem is? I mean what happens when I take it to the dealer and they tell me they can't reproduce it and I pick it up drive home and it starts doing it again...damn it.

Freaking pissed. I do not drive that hard..in fact my girlfriens says I drive like I'm a grandpa. I get on it occassionally but for the most part am a 4-5k shifter and I've driven stick for like....10 years.

Should I just take it in and hope they can reproduce it?

My car just started the same exact problem and I have about 32,000 miles on my 04 wrx.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:41 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by escaflowne
sorry, but what's the grinding sound? is it a loud whine? i have that in 1st and 2nd.

-jbl
From my understanding the 1st and 2nd gears are straight cut which will whine period.

By grind they mean the snychro's not working effectively enough and the gears will grind against eachother until they slow down enough for the gear to pop into place.

In howstuffworks.com there is a good explaination of how schro's work
Old 07-19-2004, 04:48 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by wrxcess
My car just started the same exact problem and I have about 32,000 miles on my 04 wrx.
take it in pronto...before your warranty is up. From what I hear this is more common than I expected. bum syncros.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
take it in pronto...before your warranty is up. From what I hear this is more common than I expected. bum syncros.
The warranty on the tranny is 60k miles, so it's not a HUGE hurry. I would reccomend getting it in sooner rather than later, though.

-Chris
Old 07-20-2004, 08:53 PM

does grinding sound sorta like a mis-shift?

i read up on syncros a long time ago. Soo helpful, yet problematic at the same time...
Old 07-20-2004, 09:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
does grinding sound sorta like a mis-shift?

i read up on syncros a long time ago. Soo helpful, yet problematic at the same time...
I think it can depend on the gear and severity of the grind. My 2-1 downshift saounded exatly like a missed shift. A long GRRRRRRRR that shook the shifter. However my 2-3 grind was more of a "Crunch." Short and sweet. It shook the shifter just a tad, but it was usually over before you realized what was happening.

-Chris
Old 07-20-2004, 10:03 PM

my 3 to 1 is NASTY. my goodness, it thumps and the entire car jolts. 1 to 2 does the same.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
3 to one...what the heck, this ain't a race tranny.

Learn to double clutch and it'll go into 1st no problem.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:34 AM

OW!!! ooops!!!!!

i meant 3 to 2... i'd never go 3 to 1..
Old 07-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
my 3 to 1 is NASTY. my goodness, it thumps and the entire car jolts. 1 to 2 does the same.

No one should shift a car rolling from any gear to 1st (WOW!!!!) Double clutching is a thing in the past when there was no syncro's on trannies.

Now all trannies have syncros and the double clutch thing is not the solution.

Going from any gear to 1st will break your tranny (in time) period !!!!!!

Yes it will go into first gear from any gear while slowing down and it seems normal but then again you have not seen a tranny abused from doing this as we have on the ones that we open.

If you drive like that, in time it will grind (wear down syncros) and or break a tooth or two on first gear and just speed up the breakage on first gear hard launches.

Just drive normal and be smooth and you can save your tranny.. It is an AWD vehicle and something has to give/slip and lets not make it your tranny.

no harm intended to anyone, just helping out from what we have seen...

gino

www.gb-motorsports.com
www.mpjperformance.com
Old 07-23-2004, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Originally Posted by gbmotorsports
No one should shift a car rolling from any gear to 1st (WOW!!!!) Double clutching is a thing in the past when there was no syncro's on trannies.

Now all trannies have syncros and the double clutch thing is not the solution.

www.gb-motorsports.com
www.mpjperformance.com
Double clutching reduces wear on your synchros, if you aren't double clutching on downshifts you are wearing out your synchros. Yes all new trannys have synchros but I think everyone would agree our cars have poor ones. Please do your tranny a favour and double clutch on every downshift. Also double clutching is essential in racing so you don't upset the drivetrain when cornering on a race track. So I wouldn't call it a thing of the past. It reduces load on your synchros and makes driving smoother...

Summary: Double clutching not a thing of the past, it's a good thing. Learn it, love it, live it.

P.S. As for shifting techniques, I think this should be in the WRX owner's manual: http://www.spdusa.com/shifting.htm
Old 07-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
you are not racing on the streets

by double clutching you are just wasting your effort on the streets

you must be an old school guy!

I race cars as well as build them and rebuild trannies and you need not double clutch on this day and age on normal driving.

Racing is another subject entirely and we are talking any gear downshifts back to 1st gear while rolling on daily driving, that is a disaster for a daily driving.

You should know that since you race cars, we do that when we race and on purpose to pitch the cars on dirt for set up approaches. On race cars you can do whatever you need to to get moving, but that is a race car....double clutching slows down the gears and thus it engages smoothly... you are fooled my friend. That is on race cars and not on Subaru daily driven street cars.

So you are telling me that you double clutch daily..LMAO

gino

Quick Reply: Tranny problem