Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Tranny grinds upon shifting into 1st gear...NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 06:04 PM

Car Info: Black 03 WRX
Angry Tranny grinds upon shifting into 1st gear...NEED HELP

I have a problen that has surfaced recently. This happens on occasion and when it does it is pretty spuratic. When I am stopped at a light and go to shift into first gear (when I am about to go), it will sometimes bash the gears and it jolts through my wrist with quite a bit of force. This also occurs sometimes when I shift from second or third to first with the clutch in all the way when I am about to come to a stop. It gets even worse sometimes when I am on a hill and it starts rolling back a few inches. Sometimes the car will just refuse to go into first gear (that is usually on cold morning and pumping the clutch solves that problem). I have 23k on the car and I changed the tranny oil to the Mobil 75w-90 stuff which is supposed to be pretty good. My clutch is fine and nothing else in the car has thrown out any issues yet.Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on. I think it is either the syncros or the clutch is loose or something like that.

The tricky part is that I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow to ge tit checked out and the guy called me to inform me that transmission problems that have those symptoms are usually caused by the owner's abuse and might not be covered by warranty. Little does he know that the car has seen the redline like 3 times in its life, I have no performace mods other than a prodrive exhaust for sound, and the resonator cut off and the 3/16 vacuum connector. I have been constantly changing the oil at 5000 miles and I shift at 3300 rpm so there is no abuse there unless someone test-drove it and killed it before I bought it (have you it has about 50 miles when I bought it). If they do deny my claim I will simply go apesh!t in there (since I used to work for them I think I should be ok though).

My next question is...short of buying an STi tranny or something like that, what can I do to make my tranny STRONDER and smoother? I was thinking about replacing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears along with the syncros but I think it would probably cost a much as a better tranny. Has anyone used the APS gearset and is there anything similar to that but cost efficient?
Old 01-22-2004, 06:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Try some NEO sythnetic gear oil, the heavy dudty racing might be able to keep your synchros alive and make it so they dont grind anymore.

google for NEO synthetic oil
Old 01-22-2004, 08:14 PM

Thats some good advice OldGuy... I never even thought about the clutch having airbubbles...Thanks
Old 01-23-2004, 01:27 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Have the dealer put the OEM fluid in, or better yet go to a GM dealer and get some SynchroMesh. Good stuff. Also, remember that you CANNOT downshift into first gear. At all. You never need to make up the .5 seconds going around a slow corner, and it's very very hard on your synchro to try.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:48 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
not to be an a$$ but you can just pull out in 2 gear, the rs has ore then enough power to even get out in third, but i have noticed that craking/grinding when down shifting into 1st gear when coming to a stop and the going again, i just don't do it any more i just leave it in second, and pull out, especially if you are at a 4 way stop, and you are the only one there, got to second, rolla bit and take off, if not you most of the time have to stop dead before the stick will pop into 1st,(actually it it would be home that the stick pops into) anyways that is what i have noticed.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
one thing people need to realize:

just because you put the clutch in, doesn't mean you can put the tranny in whatever gear you want!

when the clutch pedal is depressed, the engine and tranny are disconnected, but the wheels are still connected to the tranny, so you have to be more careful...RPMs will always save you...that and NEO oil!
Old 02-18-2004, 02:36 PM

Car Info: GDA
Re: Tranny grinds upon shifting into 1st gear...NEED HELP

Originally posted by rustokman
This also occurs sometimes when I shift from second or third to first with the clutch in all the way when I am about to come to a stop.
maybe this is the problem? i have never been able to get my car back into 1st when i'm rolling, even at 5mph. don't jam it in there either....if the shifter doesn't go in, you shouldn't force it in.

could most of the 1st gear grinds reported be caused by downshifting into 1st?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:09 AM

Car Info: 2010 370z Roadster, 2008 Frontier CrewCab
rustokman,

Keep us posted on what the dealer says.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:01 PM

The dealer told me that they couldn't find anything and weren't willing to do anymore investigative work without any symptoms. I asked them to bleed my clutch and they didn't want to do it so I just left. I have come to the conclusion that synthetic oil is too slick and the synchros don't have enough friction to grab the bear in time and so even at a stop I have to put it into first very VERY carefully. I am planning on changing out my tranny oil (don't use mobil 1 synthetic or any synthetic for that matter, its good for racing but not for street driving.) I don't know whether I want to mix a tranny oil cocktail or just get some of the GM synchromesh stuff and just forget about it.

LMK if anyone has any suggestions.

Quick Reply: Tranny grinds upon shifting into 1st gear...NEED HELP