Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

reverse gear grinding can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 05:48 PM

reverse gear grinding can anyone help?

I have a 2003 WRX , i just got it about 2 weeks ago and have had no problems ,,, now the past few days everytime i try to put it in reverse it grinds ,,, its really annoying , am i doing something wrong , can anyone help me out , is this a common problem , am i doing something wrong , i fully depress the clutch and still it grinds ????
Old 04-24-2004, 08:57 PM

Car Info: 1984 Subaru GL Wagon/1999 Subaru Impreza L Wagon
I have a '99 L S/W and it does the same thing.. not sure if this is normal with this tranny, but I just thought I'd throw in a similar experience..
Old 04-25-2004, 10:57 AM

Car Info: 2002 Alpine White WRX
When you stop you car, press the clutch in and wait a few seconds, if doesn't go in don't force but put into neutral and try again, and god forbid you're still moving forward when putting it in reverse.
P.S.
Sentences are overrated.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:58 AM

Car Info: silver 03 rex
i have had the same prob and still do but i changed the gear oil and it also helped a little in that department too. i used the 2 q 80w90 and 1q Gm syncromesh and i noticed a little less grinding and i was able to put it into reverse with a bit more ease. at first i took my car to the suby dealer and they looked at it and said every thing was as it should be. so im thinking its just how the trany is . good luck
Old 06-15-2004, 01:13 PM

I have that same problem.. but it seems to help if you press in the clutch and then let it out, and then press it in agian and try to put it in gear when you are at a complete stop.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Double Clutch it and it should go in. If the problem still continues, then I would take it to get looked at.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Having the gear grind when you shift into reverse is totally normal. This is a straight cut gear, it has no synchro. Grin and bear it.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:59 AM

Car Info: 1984 Subaru GL Wagon/1999 Subaru Impreza L Wagon
Ahh.. that would explain it then. I was wondering if a synchro had actually gone bad, but I guess not. I found that for some reason if I run through 1st-2nd then try to go into reverse it usually doesn't complain.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Almost all manual trannies do this from time to time. When you are engaging reverse, don't force it. If it won't go in, put it in neutral, clutch out, clutch in and try hitting 2nd or 4th before attempting reverse again. If it still won't go in, roll the car forward an inch or two in first and then try reverse again.
Honestly, I never give a second thought to a grind going into reverse...
Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
I have the same problem, but it's not the reverse gear. My problem is that it grinds quite often in 1st gear. The car can be idle and the clutch fully depressed and it will still grind.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by Brfatal
I have the same problem, but it's not the reverse gear. My problem is that it grinds quite often in 1st gear. The car can be idle and the clutch fully depressed and it will still grind.
I have the same problem becuase a dealerships faulty clutch job wore out the synchros. If your still within warranty I would reccomend taking it in. In the meantime, just depress the clutch and wait for a few seconds before trying to get 1st. This will give the first gear time to slow down and should stop the grinding. It sucks, but I have to do it untill I have enough time to take my car in as well.

-Chris
Old 06-16-2004, 10:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by XenoWolf
Ahh.. that would explain it then. I was wondering if a synchro had actually gone bad, but I guess not. I found that for some reason if I run through 1st-2nd then try to go into reverse it usually doesn't complain.
There's no magic to it. Inside your transmission are two small pumps that make certain that you have enough transmission fluid (lubricant) at the correct pressure flowing through the transmission. However, these pumps don't run when you are standind still--they only run when the transmission is actually turning, as they are driven by gear action. Thus, your first shift of the day (which is most often reverse, unless you park nose-out) is always going to grind, because those pumps have not had a chance to distribute the fluid.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:14 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
I've never heard or read that our 5 speeds have pumps to distribute the fluid. The STi's 6 speed does. Do you have a reference?

Brfatal: what was "faulty" about the clutch work? I am very curious because mine started grinding into first from a stand still a few thousand miles after the first clutch was replaced under warranty for the "shudder". It has been postulated on NASIOC that air in the hydraulic clutch system is the culprit...I would love to get this problem solved before I wear out first gear to the point of it breaking.

edit: Meilers, please don't take offense to my post, you could be right. I am sincerely curious.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Unfortunately I'm not under warranty anymore. I would have taken it while I was still covered, but I was told by my mother that she would buy me an extended warranty as a gift. I just found out last week when I hat to take my car to the shop that she never got it.

Quick Reply: reverse gear grinding can anyone help?