Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Real world opinions between 4at and 5mt

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 11:52 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX wagon, Stock... for now
Question Real world opinions between 4at and 5mt

I've been lurking for a while and eyeing wrx's for even longer. The wife and I talked and getting a smaller car with 4 doors is something that works for my commute (Long Beach to Irvine), and thus playing the "sensable" card, a WRX wagon seems to be a shoe in. I grew up on Manual transmissions from my Chevelle to a GTI to a 3 Series, before getting away from cars for an SUV. I don't have to drive a lot of stop and go because I usually take PCH to work, so one would think it would be an easy choice to opt for the manual. Having test driven both cars, I still can't come to a decision. I couldn't really put the spurs to the car with the salesperson present, so 0-60 times between the 4at and 5mt are something I'd have to get from real world experience.

Unfortunately nothing's ever that simple. My wife doesn't know how to drive a manual, and while I can teach her, the stories of the 5mt being a little on the soft side have me worried. None of my friends or our family members have a stick that I can teach her on, so she'd be frying the clutch on an 05 WRX during the learning process. I'll drive the car 99% of the time, but it's important to me that she feels equaly considered in the purchase as she is very supportive of my other speed related hobies(boats)

So stats and specs asside, what are some real world impressions of 4at and 5mt equipped WRX's? Would someone that grew up using the tranny as a tool totally regret thinking along the automatic line? Will the 5mt self destruct with the lumps and bumps associated with an inexperienced manual transmission pilot? Even if my wife weren't in the equation, I'd have to think 2x before opting for the manual over the automatic considering my daily drive still has its share of slow going.

Let me hear it and please don't pull any punches. I'm going to be buying the wagon regardless, and while I'm not going to mess with the motor, a cat back, rims/tires, and maybe some dropped springs (still waiting on firm answer from dealer regarding potential warranty issues) will be part of the program.

I'm enjoying the forums and plan on posting up pics etc. once we take delivery.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-30-2004, 12:22 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I honestly think there is nothing really wrong with AT. It is easy, convinient and relaxing. Unless you are planning to mash your WRX all over the place, you are not really loosing anything.

One thing I don't like about 4EAT, is the fact that it is a 4-speed AT and the gears are very long, so acceleration sucks. Other than that, I sometimes wish I had an AT.

Maybe you shoud just get a new Legacy GT turbo with 5EAT.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:22 AM

Nope,

I'm sold on the WRX, so that part is for certain. Pretty solid on the color being black, and basically that leaves the tranny as the only variable.

Thanks for the input... Anyone else?

Chris
Old 10-30-2004, 06:05 PM

Car Info: '02 2.5 RS
I like my 5 speed, but if you get stuck in traffic a lot then I would personally got with the auto. The ratios are not fun at slow speeds and stop and go. If thats not you case, then the 5 speed is a blast and is defiantly the way to go.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
I personally dislike automatics, as one of my friends puts it: "driving an automatic isn't driving, it's steering." I personally have difficulty driving a car with an automatic transmission, because of my manual-related habits (ie: letting off the gas at a shift point and confusing the AT, putting it in neutral at lights, getting confused trying to get the car out of "park"). I feel much more in control of a car with a manual, especailly if I'm in a situation where I need to suddenly accelerate (or even decelerate), I know I have plenty of power just a downshift away. There's no guessing what the transmission is going to do, because I'm in control. Another thing to consider is fuel economy, an extra 3mpg will add up over time.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:59 AM

I agree 1000% about the vehicle control aspect of the manual trans. My other main concerns were: Can the manual hold up to teaching the wife how to drive stick?

Does the automatic have any upside besides stop and go traffic over the manual? (sounds like no)

With everything I have read about the manual being weak, is it going to survive aggressive but intelligent driving with stock to moderate (say 250whp if mods were ever introduced) power?

I'm sold on the Manual from a driving experience standpoint, but I just want to make sure tranny can take some lumps from a new stick driver so that I'm not looking at an 8k repair bill for teaching my wife to drive stick

Thanks for all the replies,
Chris
Old 10-31-2004, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
250whp is going to be a lot harder on the drivetrain than teaching someone how to drive a stick-- even if you are teaching a girl.
That being said, how fragile are the manual trannies once you're up in that power range? Honestly I probably wouldn't do anything to void the warranty right off the bat, but with the mileage I put on cars, it wouldn't take but a couple of years to be in the "safe to mod" zone in terms of the warranty.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like I should be okay with the manual even if the wife has a bit of a time learning how to properly drive a manual transmission vehicle. If thats the case, its good news because its money that can be spent on rims/tires right off the showroom floor.

Thanks for the replies,
Chris
Old 11-01-2004, 01:48 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
well, your not planning to mod the wagon as soon as you get it right? so before you do. teach her how to drive every weekend for a month. that should set her straight on everything, i've done that to my gurl already . and as far as A/T tranny not being able to launch into traffic is wrong, my friend owns a 03 A/T rex and what you do is you hold the break and rev the car up to 3 - 4 thousand RPM and let go of the break and stomp on the gas. you'll get the same feel as the stick. and the advantage of a 4eat is that it can take a little more abuse than the 5 spd, it also can take more horsepower than the 5 spd. with all this said, i still prefer my 5 spd (gonna be 6 spd soon) to the 4EAT buh there's nothing wrong with the 4EAT, with a minimal amount of mods, you can decrease the automatic lag and turbo lag dramtically.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally Posted by flat broke
That being said, how fragile are the manual trannies once you're up in that power range? Honestly I probably wouldn't do anything to void the warranty right off the bat, but with the mileage I put on cars, it wouldn't take but a couple of years to be in the "safe to mod" zone in terms of the warranty.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like I should be okay with the manual even if the wife has a bit of a time learning how to properly drive a manual transmission vehicle. If thats the case, its good news because its money that can be spent on rims/tires right off the showroom floor.

Thanks for the replies,
Chris
Chris,

I have an 03 manual, and this is the conclusion I have come to......I have seen all kinds of threads on clutch shudder, and other random tranny problems, as well as the tranny being weak. I personally have NEVER had ANY of these problems since I bought my car, and I honestly dont understand why so many others have had lots of problems....(and yes, my car is moderatly modded, with more to come, and I am currently in the hp vicinity that you want your car to be in. 230-240whp)
I am very good about rev matching on "faster than normal" downshifts, NOT dumping the clutch (AWD cars DONT burn out like RWD, and launching off the line requires some *slight* clutch slippage.), keeping the fluids fresh, and just general common sense and good driving techniques will all make your "weak" manual, not so weak. IMHO, if you "know how to drive your car properly", you wont have any of these issues. Also, I *tried* teaching my X g/f how to drive a manual in my WRX.....and she actually did pretty good, but she got frustrated and gave up....which was her own decision, but I didnt argue . So, I personally would say that these weak 5 m/t issues, can be 95% eliminated with proper maintenance and driving technique. Granted NO CAR is perfect, and there are cases where there was a defective tranny, or part that caused a tranny to malfunction, but if this is the case, warranty should cover it. I personally would be more worried about modding the car, then having the dealership try to void your warranty for some stupid thing (ex. trying to tell you your warranty is void because you changed your rims or put on a catback. Which is all BS BTW.)

for a recap.....IMO, the 5m/t is NOT as fragile and troublesome as some make it out to be.

my 2¢

-Ted
Old 11-01-2004, 03:17 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
manual > automatic

i am going crazy driving an automatic with my 4runner. all previous cars i have owned were manuals. i dont' like not being able to control the rpms and shift points as well.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:29 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
I drive an AT wrx and absolutely love it. xkrazyasianx is right on when he says that you can launch an AT.
Everybody will agree when they say that when it comes to MT's.... the WRX has a bad one. And one it comes to AT's, the transmission in a WRX is very good and strong. If you get a MT, I would make sure it's under warranty... and if it isn't under warranty, that it has already been replaced, because it's innevitable (especially with a new driver possibly driving it).
Old 11-01-2004, 03:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM STi
+1 for manual

Its probably a good idea to wait until the break in period is over before teaching her.

Quick Reply: Real world opinions between 4at and 5mt