Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Possible Towing Damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 01:57 PM

Car Info: 08 dgm wrx wagon
Possible Towing Damage

This is a long story, but bear with me. I drive a 1997 Impreza L Wagon with automatic AWD.

Last night, I was driving around the beach highway (nearly pitch black), and had a little run-in with a high curb around 35mph on a highway turn-around -- the curve was a lot sharper than I anticipated, and there were no signs that tell you how fast to approach the curve so I hit it pretty hard on the right passenger side. Anyway, when I finally got onto the other side, the right passenger tire was making a horrible rubbing noise. I'm pretty sure it's just whacked out of alignment, but I didn't want to drive it home (pretty far away), just in case the damage was more extensive.

So, I called 411 and found out that there was only one towing company that serviced the highway area. Around 4AM, two hours after we called, this guy shows up with the kind of tow truck that lifts the front end of the car. I explain to him that automatic AWD cars can't be towed with any wheels on the ground, but he wouldn't listen. He then proceeded to jack up the car and move it forwards and backwards with the lift. He mumbled some BS about the tranny being electronic and that if he couldn't tow it like that, the car wouldn't move. We were stuck out there since 2AM and didn't want this guy to leave us, so I just said screw it.

We ended up towing the car for 24 miles. I just want to know if I'm looking at any kind of extra damage to the tranny, and if so, what the signs of this damage would be.

Last edited by spoonchucks; 07-01-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:01 PM

Car Info: 06 F4I & 04 G35 CHEHOOO
im not an expert but im PRETTY sure your not supposed to have it towed like that. even if it meant ditching that azz tow driver. i mean, if he was smart, he should of knew too.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:23 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Your tranny= b0rked. The tow company is liable for repairs because you duly informed them they could not tow with 2 wheels on the ground. Contact SOA for assistance in preparing the inevitable small claims case.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:38 AM
VIP Member

More than likely there is something wrong. But you never know, have you tried driving it since you got it back? I would definitely have it looked at right away. Like Bans Suv said, you might be able to go after the tow truck company for any damages. Did you specifically request a flat bed? If so, they will have that monitored and I would ask for the transcript of the conversation. Hope everything goes well!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:35 PM

That's a negative, littleboyblue... Can't drive it until I get the lower arm replaced. And I requested a flatbed when the guy pulled up and I saw what kind of tow truck he had -- I mentioned it several times, but he blew me off. Thankfully, I have three witnesses there who can verify my story.

Does anyone know exactly what part of the transmission may be broken, so I know what to have inspected?

If I do have to take this to court, I could be sans-car for a long, long time... It's only been two days, and already I miss my Suby. Being a pedestrian again is really disconcerting...
Old 07-02-2004, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Your tranny= b0rked. The tow company is liable for repairs because you duly informed them they could not tow with 2 wheels on the ground. Contact SOA for assistance in preparing the inevitable small claims case.
I called SOA earlier today, and they said that they couldn't help me because the car was no longer under warranty, and they mentioned something about their "roadside" program.

I need help! I've never done a small claims case before. What steps should I take? I don't need a lawyer, do I?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by spoonchucks
I called SOA earlier today, and they said that they couldn't help me because the car was no longer under warranty, and they mentioned something about their "roadside" program.

I need help! I've never done a small claims case before. What steps should I take? I don't need a lawyer, do I?
Yes, you will need a decent lawyer for this most likely. What I meant was, you should call Subaru and ask them to provide you with technical assistance to explain to the judge or jury why they can't tow your car on 2 wheels. Your owner's manual makes it very obvious too.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:54 PM

Does anyone know exactly what part of the transmission may be broken, so I know what to have inspected?

If I do have to take this to court, I could be sans-car for a long, long time... It's only been two days, and already I miss my Suby. Being a pedestrian again is really disconcerting...
Your differential is what's blown (probably). It's so expensive to replace that it's no more expensive to just replace it all though. You will have to fight for rental reimbursement and all that. If you win your case you should get it.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:26 AM
VIP Member

Before you start looking for a lawyer, make sure that there is some damage done first. Hopefully you got lucky and nothing happend.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Littleboyblue
Before you start looking for a lawyer, make sure that there is some damage done first. Hopefully you got lucky and nothing happend.
I'm trying to get the diff. inspected, but my dad's being a real douche... He's trying to help me take care of the lower arm, but he's feeding me the same BS the tow truck driver was; that since all trannies are the same, there's no problem.

Everyone assumes that since I'm only 19, I don't know wtf I'm talking about. Next person that tries to patronize me, I'm gonna get in their face. It's people ignoring what I say that got me in this mess in the first place.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:23 PM

I'm trying to get the diff. inspected, but my dad's being a real douche... He's trying to help me take care of the lower arm, but he's feeding me the same BS the tow truck driver was; that since all trannies are the same, there's no problem.

Everyone assumes that since I'm only 19, I don't know wtf I'm talking about. Next person that tries to patronize me, I'm gonna get in their face. It's people ignoring what I say that got me in this mess in the first place.
Just show him your owners manual.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:24 AM
VIP Member

Either show him the manual or have him call subaru. I definitely know how parents can be!
Old 07-04-2004, 09:29 AM

Unhappy

Got the car back yesterday afternoon. When first driving it, it didn't feel like anything was wrong, but later on, I noticed a clunk during the transition from acceleration to braking.

On Monday, I'm going to the dealership to have this inspected, no matter what the cost. While I'm there, I'll ask for a letter explaining why our cars can't be towed with two wheels on the ground.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:29 PM

If the diff is messed up, it will be most noticable during low-speed, tight turns. Go to a parking lot and do tight figure 8s and see if it feels okay.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
If the diff is messed up, it will be most noticable during low-speed, tight turns. Go to a parking lot and do tight figure 8s and see if it feels okay.
You can appreciate the irony here -- a low speed, tight turn that night would have prevented all of this headache... :S

Anyway, I have an appointment to bring the car in to Subaru tomorrow morning. I'll let you all know what they tell me.

In case I haven't said it yet -- thanks for the support and the info.

Quick Reply: Possible Towing Damage