i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/)
-   -   Lightened Flywheel causing CEL (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/lightened-flywheel-causing-cel-197758/)

I<3subie 03-27-2009 05:01 AM

Its a inertia problem. Its a known problem with lightweight flywheels.... The flywheel drops speed faster then the oem because of the weight differance. There is not enough mass to keep the engine stable just off idle.
The engine then uses fuel to try and adjust for it.

Then it cant keep a steady idle you get a misfire code. DONT DISABLE MISSFIRE CODES!!!

Go into the rom and adjust the right table. (requested torque) off top of my head. Raise it few % from 800 rpm up to 2600. ADJUST ROM AT OWN RISK. Take to a Tuner as results may vary.... read up on it a [url]www.romraider.com[/url] But I recomend Crawford Performance. They can tune over the internet. Call and talk with LIC Motorsports about getting a Crawford tune.

I<3subie 03-27-2009 05:02 AM

oh if you have a non oem main pulley... get it off the car... before your crank bearing go bad. You dont need it to make power...

C 007 08-15-2009 01:48 PM

I have a lightened flywheel, and I'm getting these codes too. Though mine is multiple misfires(p0300), cyl 1(p0301), and cyl 4(p0304). Should this still be happening with my cobb stage 2 tune. I have an spt intake, catless up and down pipe, and catback. If I throw a code while having the car tuned, is it normal or do I actually have something wrong. The car drives fine, now that I changed the plugs yesterday and pulled the neg side off the battery. Everything was fin until today, when I randomly turned on again. It's sickening! It makes me hat the car, then I drive my 96 civic for a while and when I get back in I just deal with the cel and love the car.

C 007 08-15-2009 01:52 PM

Also, with 155k miles, should or when should I get a valve adjustment. How expensive is this to have done? Thanks.

ipozestu 08-15-2009 02:20 PM

You can have this tuned out. An off the shelf map may not do the trick. I'd suggest taking it into Mike and throwing the man a few clams to do what he does.

C 007 08-15-2009 02:25 PM

what shop is mike at?

C 007 08-15-2009 02:27 PM

Even with a tune, has anyone still gotten smoke out the exhaust. I get a bunch of smoke that comes out like every other startup while sitting at a light or in traffic. Just waiting to get a ticket for that.

ipozestu 08-15-2009 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=C 007;2692479]what shop is mike at?[/QUOTE]
GST
[QUOTE=C 007;2692483]Even with a tune, has anyone still gotten smoke out the exhaust. I get a bunch of smoke that comes out like every other startup while sitting at a light or in traffic. Just waiting to get a ticket for that.[/QUOTE]

You sir got bigger problems than a lightend flywheel. Sounds to me like you got a leaky valve seal. Take it into GST. Be forewarned this ain't gonna be cheap.

C 007 08-15-2009 02:44 PM

That's what I was afraid of. This can also cause a misfire code?

ipozestu 08-15-2009 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=C 007;2692497]That's what I was afraid of. This can also cause a misfire code?[/QUOTE]

Most certainly. How long has it been puffing smoke? Chances are your plugs are caked.

ipozestu 08-15-2009 02:52 PM

Pull your intercooler. check to see if you've got excessive oil in it. you can also take your exhaust manifold off and look for wetness and heavy carbon build up. That's tell you if its isolated to a particular cylinder or if you've got excessive crankcase pressure or a leak in your turbo. The age and mileage with a stage 2 tune. I'll tell ya dude, that motors coming out. DO NOT use any fuel system cleaner or Seafoam. All that carbon build up will break of and imbed into your ring lands. It'll just ish worse.

ipozestu 08-15-2009 03:00 PM

Any of the shops will be able to help you with this. I just layed out GST cause IMA fanboy. Is one better than the next I dunno. I'd bet a pitcher that every shop in the area has performed work on a car that was serviced at another shop. SOme do have better reps than others. Some do certainly take care better than others. GST for example, their "secretary" gives superb reach arounds.

johndabrit 08-19-2009 03:22 PM

[quote=C 007;2692483]Even with a tune, has anyone still gotten smoke out the exhaust. I get a bunch of smoke that comes out like every other startup while sitting at a light or in traffic. Just waiting to get a ticket for that.[/quote]

What color is the smoke and what does it smell like?

Are you losing any coolant?

Do yourself a favor and get a compression check.

boxerfxt 09-02-2009 07:56 PM

[QUOTE GST for example, their "secretary" gives superb reach arounds.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one who got the special treatment! damm it greg!