Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

How many miles do you have on your stock clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 2.5RS
I have 41,325 miles on my MY00 RS stock clutch and it has slight shudder in the cold morning but that's it. Not a wrx but I'm guessing it would be about the same.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Clutch......

Not to worry...
15k + miles and no slipping here.
The cold shudder is a annoying, not an actual problem.
Just had my clutch assembly replaced yesterday under warranty.
I had the infamous shudder problem. My wagon was a early 2002.
The shudder was evident from the first week I had the car. I complained at the time, as usual, the service guys told me it was normal. Now that there is a TSB,
(Technical Service Bulletin) customers who complain, can get a new clutch assembly. WRX models for 2002 and early 2003 were affected.
A few months ago I drove my buddies 03 and the clutch felt so much better than mine. Now mine feels like butter. Much lighter pedal, and the engagement is closer to the floor. Most people liked the original position of engagement, but I will take the smoother one.
They replaced the clutch, the cover plate, the flywheel and a few bolts.
I looked into the 5spd STI clutch upgrade, but found out that it also has shudder problems on cold starts, when slipping the clutch out.
From what I understand, besides the shudder issue at cold starts, the wrx clutch is quite durable. I have heard peoples accounts of 30-50k with no problems. These are people who see the track often and drive aggressive.

-wrexr

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:57 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
my '03 has ~12.5k on it, and no problems. i'm pretty nice to it though, not many hard launches, and nice smooth rev-matched downshifts.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:55 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX sonic yellow
almost 2k!!!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:29 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
I've got 30k and some change on mine, the only problem is the evil "clutch judder problem" caused by moisture. Seeing as I live in Tenn. and it rains all the time, it is a PIA in the morning. My parts are on order from the dealer. I never drag raced or did big rpm drops, just some auto-x'n, muddin and dirt tracks. Other than the judder problem, it has been fine and I could probably go another 40k on this one no problem.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:57 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
31k and i auto-x regularly and have done a lot of off-road driving and it is still doing fine, a lot of aggressive driving as well. never drag raced it though
Old 06-04-2003, 05:54 PM

Car Info: 00 2.5RS
I changed the stock clutch on my 00 2.5 at 61,000 miles because it was starting to slip. I'm the second owner so I have no idea what the last person did to it. Instead of replacing with an OEM clutch I upgraded to Exedys Stage1 racing clutch. I've put about 2K on and so far so good, nice bite to it.

Quick Reply: How many miles do you have on your stock clutch?