Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

How common the tranny woes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 01:49 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
I've got 58,000 miles on my early '02 WRX Wagon. The clutch has slipped/bucked for the first 5 minutes damn near every day I've driven the car. However, once the clutch is warm, shudder is never an issue. AFAIK, the "shudder syndrome" is nothing more than drivers not waiting for the car to be fully ready for hard driving.

As for the tranny, I can still downshift into 1st at 20MPH with nary a grind. OTOH, I've never raced/rallyed/auto-xed, nor have I abused things with high-RPM clutch drops/slips. My motto has always been to roll on the power smoothly and avoid at all costs trying to shift faster than the tranny can handle it. Remember, the 5MT in our WRXs was designed some 20 years ago for a motor with half the HP and torque of the WRX mill. You can go just so far before things start to break. Treat it nice and you won't have a problem. Drive it like most of the teenagers around here do and you'll be busting gears in no time.

Or, wait for '05 or '06 and the new 5MT that's coming with the new Legacy. I'm sure it'll drift down into the WRX at some point. Of course, 'round about 2025 or so, people will be *****ing about glass trannies in their new cars.