Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

How Can I Lose all the Oil In My Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 07:45 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
How Can I Lose all the Oil In My Transmission

I have a 2002 WRX with 87,000 miles. Can anyone explain how I could end up with practically no oil in my transmission? I park in my garage and think I would have noticed a leak of almost a gallon of gear oil. All I can think of is that the dealer drained it and never refilled it.

I discovered this because my right front wheel was banging when I made sharp turns. I saw the fluid was low. It looked like it was down to the low end of the dipstick, but a full quart didn't help. It wasn't until I put in 3.5 quarts that it showed as full.

The manual says the only maintenance ever needed on the transmission gear oil is to inspect it at 30 months/30,000 miles, 60/60, 90/90 and 120/120.

I had a full blown 60,000 mile service by the dealer two years and 14,000 miles ago which should include inspecting the transmission oil. So, how can I lose all that oil over the course of 14000 miles without seeing a leak? And the dealer has seen the car several times since then and never mentioned a leak. And right after another service, I complained about a funny noise that sounded like a bad axle and they assured me nothing was wrong. I can't remember if I asked them to replace the oil.

Clearly, my transfer case is shot, and I imagine everything else is screwed too. So, I was wondering if anyone can help:

Do you agree the dealer is responsible and is there any chance they will fix this?

If I have to pay for it myself, it worth fixing my car? Only 87,000 miles, but it also needs the timing belt/water pump and about $12-1500 in body work.