Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Front Right Wheel Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:19 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX Wagon
Front Right Wheel Bearing

I have an 05 WRX wagon that I think has the front right wheel bearing finally going. the front right has had a whine at freeway speed for a while, but no noise in town or when at full lock, until this past week.

It finally got bad enough to where the front right makes noise when the wheel is at full lock. This means I am now in need of replacing that wheel bearing (I believe), and was wondering if i should just get that one done, or if it makes more sense to get both front wheel bearings done at once. I know they are known to wear out on this car.

Also, where is the best place to get this done? I live in Dublin, Ca.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:28 AM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru outback Limited
I don't know if you took care of this yet, but any shop that you trust to do mechanical work at a reasonable price could handle it. The dealer probably would be the most expensive, but if there is a foreign car shop in the area, that might be a reasonable alternative. I see no reason to do both bearing unless you have lots of miles on it. I had to replace my RR bearing at least 3 years ago and possibly 35or 40k miles. All the others have been fine. It is probably not any cheaper to do them at the same time, because they are not duplicating any work operations.

Last edited by phoneman; 05-07-2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Typo