Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Clutch wear at 4500 mi

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 12:07 AM

Car Info: 03 PSM WRX stg 2
Clutch wear at 4500 mi

I have a 03 WRX with 4500 mi. and the clutch seems like it's alot less grabby than when it was new. I feel like the car accelerates with a tiny bit less punch. I'm not sure if this is normal wear or if the clutch is really wearing excessively. Is there some way I can know for sure? I drive modestly and never clutch drop.

Anyone have the same issue and/or advice?
Old 06-21-2004, 07:45 PM

Bastos, my car definitely moves when I let out the clutch. If I didn't move at all then yes, I would have a problem on my hands :P Thanks for the suggestion tho.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:56 AM

Car Info: sonic yellow 03 WRX sedan
Redline, what Bastos meant is that when you are cruising in gear, and you floor the accelerator (but don't touch the clutch), does the rpm shoots up sharply, but without any gain in speed?
Old 06-22-2004, 02:03 PM
VIP Member

When you leave first gear, what rpms do you leave at (just driving normally)?
Old 07-03-2004, 03:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by lllRedline
I have a 03 WRX with 4500 mi. and the clutch seems like it's alot less grabby than when it was new. I feel like the car accelerates with a tiny bit less punch. I'm not sure if this is normal wear or if the clutch is really wearing excessively. Is there some way I can know for sure? I drive modestly and never clutch drop.

Anyone have the same issue and/or advice?
This might sound like a dumb theory... but hang with me here. It could just be that you are becoming more used to your vehicle, and perhaps a little spoiled. If you only drove civics before your rex, you probably thought it felt like a rocket ship when you first bought it. Now that you have owned the car and driven it for some time, everything may feel less potent, but is infact, not. It's the same "getting used to" the performance that drives us all to modding our cars. I had this same problem, but after driving my girlfriends focus for two weeks, and hopping back in my car everything felt better again. The car SEEMED to acelerat faster than the last time I drove it, the clutch SEEMED to grab better than before, and the car SEEMED to handle better. I reccomend driving a focus for two weeks then going back to your rex. It just may feel all better.

-Chris
Old 07-07-2004, 11:02 AM

Ok, my clutch is not slipping, but I do have to let the clutch out further than I used to in order to get the car rolling. To clarify, I know my clutch isn't totally worn down because there's no spike in revs when I accelerate, in gear. I'm just wondering if the fact I have to let the clutch out further than before in order for it to "grab" indicates excessive wear for such low mileage. Do you think a clutch adjustment is in order? Of course, the alternative is that i'm going insane and this is all psychological! Maybe I should drive a focus... although I do think the SVTs are really quite good.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Let me rephrase... drive an '01 light metallic blue focus with a slushbox. That's what I had to drive.

-Chris

p.s. I don't know how much this will affect the tranny feel of the focus you choose to drive, but the one I drove also had a "Scrapbook Girl" sticker in the rear window and a pink heart gem thingie hanging from the rearview. I figured you just might want to replicate my experience as closely as possible.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:06 AM

I'm guessing the clutch is cable actuated? not sure but if so, maybe there's some way to adjust the cable position?
Old 07-08-2004, 02:09 AM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by lllRedline
I'm guessing the clutch is cable actuated? not sure but if so, maybe there's some way to adjust the cable position?
I was under the impression that the clutch (other than the adjuster cable for an EAT) was hydryalic.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Our clutches are indeed hydrolic.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Clutch wear at 4500 mi