Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

clutch slippage?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 05:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
Question clutch slippage?????

the other day i was in my WRX driving in 4th grear @ about 2000 rpm in some light traffic. when the traffic cleared i dipped into the gas pedal about 75% and as the tach needle passed 3000 rpm the revs shot up to 4300 , stayed there for about a second or two, and then came back down to about 3500 rpm and then the car just went back to normal. it kinda freaked me out, so i tried the same thing in 2nd through 5th gear. in 3rd thur 5th it would rise as the revs passed 3000 rpm. now as of today it also does it in 2nd. if im just cruising it wont do it if i gradually accelareate, but if i give it more gas it will do it. is my clutch slipping??? my car has 8900 miles on it, i bought it brand new back in march. any know what might be going on???
thanks
don
Old 09-29-2003, 10:17 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
thats what mine did, but it was at 37k miles, replaced the clutch and flywheel and now its all better
Old 09-29-2003, 06:07 PM

Car Info: Silver 02 WRX
mine too at 41k. its the clutch but its normal/
Old 09-29-2003, 10:20 PM
VIP Member

i have an appointment at carlsen subaru tommrow morning. do you think it might be a warranty issue??? i dont really know now to approach them with my prob. ive never had a clutch do this to me. i had a 86 celica for about 5 years. i installed a regular clutch when i bought it and the thing felt as good as the day i installed it when i stopped driving it.
we'll see what happens

don
Old 09-30-2003, 10:03 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
with less than 10k miles i would say you have a pretty good chance at the warrenty bit, but you never know, i'd give it a try cause 8900 miles is way to quick for a clutch to be going out
Old 09-30-2003, 05:14 PM
VIP Member

i took it in this morning. the service writter told me to take a road test with a tech. i think the i-club famous kevin was the tech that i went out with. for some reason half way out of the parking lot he turns around and goes back to where the car had been parked. he told me to wait a minute because they had to check something on the computer. after about 10 minutes i ask one of the service writters (also named kevin) what was going on. he expalined to me that since i had been to ron price motors 2 weeks prior to today, that they had to double check with subaru if they were going to be compensated for thier efforts. the thing is that i went to ron price for a completley unrelated issue. the reason that i didnt go back there was because i think their service is not that good. also, the service writer wold me that latley there have been many clutch problems, and subaru wants to make sure this is a legit claim. i dorpped it off at about 8:30 this morn and they still havent got back to me(its now 5 ish) reagarding whether they will be compensated for taking a look at my car.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:32 PM
VIP Member

i just got off the phone with the dealer. the SOA regional rep came out and took a look at it and OK'ed it.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:53 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
My clutch started this last night, it only slips in 3rd and 4th from 3700-4200. I haven't tried 5th. I know mine isn't going to be covered under warranty, so I've already started looking for a new clutch / flywheel combo. What does everyone recommend to upgrade to? I have a 2002 WRX.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:26 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
Re: clutch slipping

Originally posted by smithby
My 2000 GT wagon just started sliping this morning. 60.800 miles. My 92 Honda Civic went 192,000 miles before a spring fell out of the clutch disc.
I knew the Subaru clucth as weak but I didn't know they where so bad. I will be calling the Subaru USA complaint dept. May be we all should. Also remember to complain about the slave cyclinder/dead clutch went the fluid gets hot sitting in traffic. There is a thread on the Legacy forum about that, check my last post about Dead Clutch pedal on Aug 18 03.
One needs to remember that since these cars are AWD, they put more stress on the clutch and transmission. Also, driving habits would have a huge effect on when the clutch goes too. DO you launch the car? Ride the clutch? Slip the clutch form high rpms? Rev match when downshifting? etc. Many of these things decide how long your clutch will last for.

My wrx was my first manual trans car, and I made sure that I picked up no bad habits as I learned how to drive the thing. My clutch is going strong with 46,000KM's on my car. I NEVER launch the thing, depress the cluth all the way in before shifting, rev match when downshifting so as to decrease stress on the clutch.

Basically, treat the trans/clutch like a lady, and she'll be good to you!

If and when my clutch goes, I will be hunting for the stock clutch that came in the 02 WRXes, as they are more substantial and grippier than those that were released on the 03's and 04's
Old 10-16-2003, 07:24 PM

Car Info: 04 aspen white sti
My clutch is slipping as well it stared at about 48,000 But I have an 80,000 mile warranty.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:35 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
I'm only at 20,400 and mine is slipping in from ~3500 to 4400 now. But I know why it's slipping so soon, so I'm not going to complain about it being a low quality clutch. I have a new BPM clutch and lightweight flywheel, just need to get the money to get it installed soon.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:17 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx
hey guys same problem here.. i think im gunna get a clutch from spec w/ a lightened pressure plate.. anyone know of good tranny fluids?

Quick Reply: clutch slippage?????