Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

04 WRX tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 08:10 PM

04 WRX tranny.

Hello folks,

I own a 2002 auto wrx sedan with quite a few mods. I recently bought a 91 Honda CRX 5-spd to learn on. Maybe some of you guys remember my post about it. So I think I got the 5 spd thing down pretty good now. The CRX can be a handful...its got 144K miles on it and does a lot of fun stuff like stall sometimes and refusing to switch gears. Plus the car makes a whopping 76 HP as it is the HF economy model. The 76 HP requires a lot of shifting....or you'll stall and the thing red lines at 5K rpm. I still love driving this thing and I'm thinking of trading in my WRX for a 5 spd one. How is the 2004 transmission? Same problems? What is clutch shudder exactly. On the CRX when you let the clutch out it shakes when it goes into gear. Is that clutch shudder? I practice driving 5 spd a lot...even intentionally taking it on very busy roads for practice. So would I have any problem switching to the WRX? I know the WRX....just not manual ones. I did make a dumb move the other day....I pulled out into an intersection in 3rd gear......and stalled. I tried so hard to get the car going and was baffled. Til I realized it was in 3rd. I can get the car moving in second though. 2 questions:

1) If you're rolling in second gear and its about to stall...and because first gear in your car gets all jerky..is it ok to push the clutch in....rev it and then let the clutch out? I have to do this in the CRX when going over speed bumps.

2) Whats the clutch and transmission like in the WRX?

Thanks for your help.