Noob question about launching (and shifting to 2nd gear)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 04:09 AM

Car Info: 2007 STI
Noob question about launching (and shifting to 2nd gear)

i have a problem with changing to 2nd gear .. i dunno if that is normal, so this is why im asking. but im doin a launch and its at 7rpm and i try to pull it into 2nd.. its really stiff. is that normal?? am i supose to slam it into gear? lets just say.. =( i shamed my car -- didnt redline or anything. but sighh. someone please help =)
Old 09-01-2007, 09:36 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
haha, first of all, I hope you mean you are doing a pull and not launching at 7k...

second of all, you shouldn't be taking your car to redline, 6.5k is fine, and throw in the clutch fast, use one quick motion, but not a lot of strength to shift into gear, then let the clutch out.

don't slam the gear, you'll **** your synchros up that way.

as far as being at 7k and trying to slam the gear in, you will encounter some resistance, but that's normal, if you have a 5 speed, which I'm pretty sure you do, they aren't made for shifting very hard or very fast...
Old 09-01-2007, 01:15 PM

thanks

Originally Posted by SubyN00by
haha, first of all, I hope you mean you are doing a pull and not launching at 7k...

second of all, you shouldn't be taking your car to redline, 6.5k is fine, and throw in the clutch fast, use one quick motion, but not a lot of strength to shift into gear, then let the clutch out.

don't slam the gear, you'll **** your synchros up that way.

as far as being at 7k and trying to slam the gear in, you will encounter some resistance, but that's normal, if you have a 5 speed, which I'm pretty sure you do, they aren't made for shifting very hard or very fast...
lol i meant through the launch.. tryin to get into 2nd. im already commited through 1st gear and tryin to 2nd

a very hard resistance?? cause i tried to pull it into 2nd gear and my hand slipped off, i was wondering why it was soo damn stuff for me to pull it in. i drive an 2007 sti. soo 6 gears. =/ yeah i shift before it hits 7 if i didnt.. =( my car wouldve exploded wat i did yesterday. but im sure alittle of it did hit red. AGHHHHHHHHHHH embarassed myself hella bad. but yeah. shifting into 2 was hella hard. soo that is normal? cause i feel that i had to slam it in when i retried it. i dunno if theres just something wrong my clutch or gears that it does that, cause ive already been having problems with my clutch.. when i press down on my clutch and release it while in neutral i makes clickin noises.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:49 PM

Car Info: 07 subaru wrx
Ok, Have I ever been there.First,before I FORGET,go to www.spdusa.com.You will learn a lot from this site, but search around for the shifting section. Firstly you just can't rush a 1-2 shift in a 5mt. You literally need to feel the car decelerate a bit when you engage the clutch from 1st before you 'pull' not slam the car into second gear. When I got my 07 broken in I took my car to a deserted road and spent an hour beating up the tranny trying to get a quick 1-2 shift. Happen to reread the site that nite and started laughing. The way to shift is what I had "discovered" on that road. By the way I'm on my 36th car and have drag and road raced a good chunk of my life-I can shift OK, but the wrx doesn't like that combo 1-2 rushed. You can read similar content on numerous subie sites, go to NASIOC and research. There are some specialized tranny oils that are supposed to help,but I haven't tried them yet.

Last edited by cowg; 09-01-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:06 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
ok ya the 5-speed doesnt have a syncro in first gear so thats y it doesnt pop out as easily but second should just fall into place~~~I DONT KNOW BOUT THE 6-SPEED though i think it may just be cause u get to redline so fast that u are actually hitting the revlimiter which does make it incredibly hard to shift!

but ya 6.5k is high enough, beyond that is pointless u can accelerate faster by jst shifting and goin!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:13 PM

Car Info: 07 subaru wrx
Somebody let me know if they positively know of a car sold in the US in 40+ years that didn't have syncro on 1st gear. Besides it wouldn't matter-1st gear syncro is for shiffting into 1st not out of it. It's just a sorta crummy trans. One of the subie 'character' traits.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:32 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Wingless WRX
Dude bro... its not worth dumping ur car off at 7K redline and then dumping it into second.... just take it easy and let it flow... eventually you'll get it in. I dunno if you have the stock short throw or not. But if you do, it is stiffer, so keep that in mind when you put it into second. Take it a bit slower then it would just go right in.... it's not as easy as the civics.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:35 AM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
honestly though my civic had a syncro into first and when i first drove my subie bad gridage happened! thats how i found out...

but ya bad gearing in the 5-speed...the 6-speed is nice and smooth though, well compared to the 5-speed....well i guess almost anything is smooth!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:46 AM

Car Info: '05 OBP WRX
same thing happened to me when i was goofing off on the backroads, just "tap it in" to 2nd
Old 09-09-2007, 05:31 PM

Car Info: sc300
is ur car even worn in yet?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
RA Gearset> Stock 5sp!! I usually feather launch at 5k, if I ever launch, which is once or twice a year at most. But I agree with the consensus, there is absolutely no power past six grand. You should really almost pause when you shift into second. Pull it out of gear ( lightly) put light pressure on the second gear gate, then let it pop itself into gear. Your syncros will like you for it!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by SnoHumper
is ur car even worn in yet?
3k mile
Old 09-25-2007, 03:16 AM

Car Info: None.
Originally Posted by cowg
Somebody let me know if they positively know of a car sold in the US in 40+ years that didn't have syncro on 1st gear.
Early Porsche 911s and Minis. I'm sure I can find more, but those come to mind quickly.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:36 PM

sigh. i have put shame on subarus alll over the world =( sorry everyone i suckk. those dudes put a video on youtube. an anyway subie bashin mee =/
Old 10-07-2007, 07:29 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally Posted by slim617
i drive an 2007 sti. soo 6 gears.
If you would update your user Profile to reflect what car you own, other folks trying to help with advice wouldn't keep assuming you have a 5MT (5-speed).

Quick Reply: Noob question about launching (and shifting to 2nd gear)