Bad quarter mile times, with a lot of mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 07:51 AM

Unhappy Bad quarter mile times, with a lot of mods

Ok, I went to Atco speedway in NJ last night. I was getting horrible times, best was 14.1 worst was 14.6. I miss shifted every run. There was another STI there who was pulling 14's having trouble launching also. I am finding launching at the track is different from launching on the street. On the street I turn off auto DCCD and put it all the way to the rear. I get sick launches without bogging on the street. I beat a stock evo by about 4 or 5 car lengths. I also beat a stock M3 about 4 or 5 car lengths. But on the track its like I don't know how to shift any more. I also have trouble launching. Does anyone have any tips for launching on the track? Also is power shifting good(Hitting clutch while it is still floored and banging the gears)? Has anyone else had trouble on the track but done much better on the street. Anyone else having trouble getting used to the shifter?

List of mods are: Invidia titanium TBE. XXTuning Headers. Turbosmart bov, Perrin air filter in stock air box., Perrin Oil Catch Can, Tein Springs, Rear sway bar, Perrin pulley, thats all I can think of for right now.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:43 AM

Car Info: 2004 Black/Gold STi
You dont have your turbo ported or anything? Do you get boost creep?
Old 05-12-2004, 12:08 PM

the turbo was ported. I didn't get any boost creep.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:11 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Please omit street racing references on this board, thanks.

What was your trap speed? This gives us an idea if your car is making the power that it should based on the mods you have.

I launch my rex by revving to approximately 5000 RPM, leaving on the last yellow, slipping the clutch for about a second and a half until the car moves out of the staging beams, then ease into full throttle while letting the clutch out as fast as I can without bringing the revs down. I can usually get 1.8 to 1.9 second 60 ft times and can turn 13.80s to 13.90s on a cool evening (65 F degrees).

You're going to have to work on your shifting, too. That's going to cost you several tenths per missed shift.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 05-13-2004, 06:20 AM

Wingless Wonder, I have a Couple of questions for you...When you say the last yellow do you mean the top most before lock on the dccd? Also how do you slip the clutch? How are people who say they are pulling 13.1's bone stock doing it? Are they lieing? I am going to the track again tonight so I will try what you have told me.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:06 AM

Origami posted by greysave
When you say the last yellow do you mean the top most before lock on the dccd? Also how do you slip the clutch? How are people who say they are pulling 13.1's bone stock doing it? Are they lieing?
Leaving (launching) on the last yellow referring to the staging lights on the Christmas tree. I have a WRX ('rex'), not an STi - no DCCD.

I slip the clutch as I stated in my previous post. Let it out too fast and the car will bog for a couple of seconds - too slowly and the clutch will burn up (I can smell the clutch material in the cabin within seconds). It takes practice but a good launch will be reflected in your 60 ft times.

Locally, guys with stock STis are pulling low-13 second E.T.s, but lightly modified STis are pulling in the 12.50s to 12.80s and trapping up to 109 MPH.

--
0==WW==0
Old 05-22-2004, 11:27 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX Blue
Practice makes perfect
Old 05-22-2004, 10:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
Please omit street racing references on this board, thanks.

What was your trap speed? This gives us an idea if your car is making the power that it should based on the mods you have.

I launch my rex by revving to approximately 5000 RPM, leaving on the last yellow, slipping the clutch for about a second and a half until the car moves out of the staging beams, then ease into full throttle while letting the clutch out as fast as I can without bringing the revs down. I can usually get 1.8 to 1.9 second 60 ft times and can turn 13.80s to 13.90s on a cool evening (65 F degrees).

You're going to have to work on your shifting, too. That's going to cost you several tenths per missed shift.

--
0==WW==0
we gotta go to the strip again here soon. I wanna try working on my 1/4 times
Old 05-23-2004, 10:26 AM

My trap speeds are very slow. They are only at 101. I think I am doing something wrong. What RPM are you shifting at?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:26 AM

Origami posted by greysave
My trap speeds are very slow. They are only at 101. I think I am doing something wrong. What RPM are you shifting at?
101 mph seems a little low considering your mods. Hot Rod Magazine posted a (corrected for altitude) 100.5 mph while Sport Compact Car Magazine posted 105 mph for a stock STi.

I suspect that your car could benefit greatly from a reflash from Cobb Tuning or one of the EcuTek vendor/tuners (should be available soon). A reflash even on a stock WRX or STi makes an big noticeable difference.

My shift points won't be of much help to you because your engine has a different power curve than an EJ20 and your 6MT has much closer gear ratios. I launch at 5000 rpm, shift from 1st to 2nd gear at 7000 rpm (because of the very wide ratio spread), and shift at 6500 rpm for the remainder of the gears, going through the traps in 4th.

--
0==WW==0
Old 05-23-2004, 11:29 AM

Do you think my aftermarket headers are slowing me down?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:31 AM

I would just be speculating on the header issue... sorry.

--
0==WW==0
Old 09-30-2004, 07:49 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
First thing to remember is to be calm. Most people get pretty nervous at the tree. Being calm is very important. Take some deep breaths, and concentrate. Listen to your motor, and relax. I bet you will have better times and no more missed shifts. I too have a Wrx. The best i have run is a 13.6. This came from slipping the clutch at 5k(took a lot of practice).I have a Cobb stage 2. Some say with the Cobb 2 they are hitting 13.2 i am still trying. As for the techniqes for the STi i have no idea. I have heard that you need to use the ic sprayer as you stage. This will help cool the ic a little. Check you tire pressures as well. You would be supprise what tire pressure can do for you. But i would say stop missing shifts first. good luck!

Last edited by wrx10404; 09-30-2004 at 07:52 AM.