1st Post! --> Did I just get owned by a Sentra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:05 AM

Car Info: Subaru Impreza 2.5i 2006 OBP
1st Post! --> Did I just get owned by a Sentra?

Been a regular visitor to i-Club but this is my first post. I have had a sleepless night b/c something has been bugging me ...

I have an 06 2.5i A/T stock. Last night on the way home, I pulled up to a red light next to a Sentra. Looked at the trunk and didn't see the SE-R badges so it appeared to be a 1.8S. I was pretty much minding my own business, no desire to race but I also wasn't going to be beaten off the line by IMO the fugliest compact car on the road. I put my car in the "3" setting and stepped on the gas and gave it probably 85% throttle. I thought this would be enough to take me past the Sentra but to my absolute bewilderment ... the Sentra edged me out going to about 80kph (roughly 50mph). At that point I had to ease up on the gas. I had to switch lanes to make a right turn at the next light to turn into my residential neighbourhood and I also wasn't gonna risk getting a ticket (fairly strictly enforced 60kph zone).

My 2.5i is no STI but I thought it was at least quicker than a Sentra. If i had given it full throttle, would I have beaten the Sentra 0-60mph? Could the Sentra have been a sleeper (it was black with black tint just like my Suby!) and was actually an SE-R or modded under the hood (sounded pretty quiet)? In which case getting owned was probably the right outcome ... but if it were a basic Sentra then something is wrong here right? I believe the diff in weight between a 2.5i and a Sentra is about 300lbs. Is this enough to make such a big difference?

I am actually leasing my car until 2009 and was wondering ... what mods can I do on my lease vehicle to avoid further embarassment? I don't want to be staring at the back of those fugly Sentras for the next 3 years ...
Old 07-26-2006, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
next time stick it in "1" and apply the brakes hard and floor it, then let off on the brake pedal....4EAT launch FTW