Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

JDM V7 STI swap into USDM 03 WRX...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 AM

Car Info: JDM STI V7 EWG powered 2003 Subaru MBP WRX
JDM V7 STI swap into USDM 03 WRX...Needing help...

I've decided to swap a V7 JDM STI engine (bugeye, non twin-scroll setup) into my bugeye WRX and have been searching for the right package to order. It appears that a majority of the listings are paired with the JDM V7 6spd transmission which is a great upgrade that I would be willing to get, IF I can buckle down some factoids prior to purchasing it. My understanding is I could always use my existing 5spd if all else fails....so please correct me if I am wrong.

Some packages have the driveshaft, all 4 axles, hubs, and the rear diff and some packages just come with the transmission alone (not even the driveshaft or rear diff). What I am having a hard time locating (through countless threads on the subject) is whether or not I actually NEED to replace the axles, driveshaft, hubs, etc. or if it is a direct replacement with what I currently have.

SO here are my questions in short:
1)Can I put in only the V7 block and use my existing 5spd (not ideal, but wanting to know all options)?

2)If I upgrade to 6spd tranny, will I need the 6spd's driveshaft, axles, hubs, rear diff, etc? Will this change my strut options (I have the Tokico D-specs)?

3)Can I use my existing HKS non-bellmouth downpipe with the new JDM engine? And my Grimmspeed Up pipe with Tial EWG?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by wrecker83; 01-31-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
1. yes. This is the easiest/cheapest solution.
2. yes, and no. getting everything is the easy/right way to do it. If you want to keep your suspension/brakes/wheels you can make it work but you'll need to gather parts from various sources. The easiest IMO would be to buy the whole setup and then swap the CVs to make some "hybrid" axles, then sell off the extra stuff. All of that will take a lot of research, time, and effort to get right.
3. most likely yes, but depends mostly on the turbo. As long as it is an OEM location single scroll turbo it should fit.

Take a drive in a friend's 6-speed if you haven't before. Personally, I don't like the way they drive compared to the 5-speed. However, for motor sport it is highly advantageous to have the diffs and gearing that come in the 6.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Man, right up my ally....

I ran my V7 Ej207 with my 5-speed for a year. Everything works well and was a nice set up because of the 8k red line and long gears with the 5-speed. I was staying in boost forever lol.

After a year i bought my V7 6-speed with everything (axles,hubs(5x100), driveshaft, rear diff) Theres lots of weird changes through versions(years) and diffrent markets(JDM,USDM,EDM,AUS) so i HIGHLY recommend you buy EVERYTHING as one version. All JDMv7

Keep in mind, this is a suabru motor and trans, everything will work with our usdm set ups, strut and spring combos, Downpipes ect.

Things you need to keep in mind

EJ207's will fit right up to the WRX

Wat the AVCS to work?(cource you do) youll need another harness for that from AI-Performance.com

the JDM v7 motor has forged pistons
single croll
USDM TGV stacks that have been deleted from facotry(V8 207's have diffrent TGV less stacks witch flow a little better.
The heads are not big ported or polished. For v7's(only for the spec-c or RA)(V8 207's have the nicer heads)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by LOL VTEC
Man, right up my ally....

I ran my V7 Ej207 with my 5-speed for a year. Everything works well and was a nice set up because of the 8k red line and long gears with the 5-speed. I was staying in boost forever lol.

After a year i bought my V7 6-speed with everything (axles,hubs(5x100), driveshaft, rear diff) Theres lots of weird changes through versions(years) and diffrent markets(JDM,USDM,EDM,AUS) so i HIGHLY recommend you buy EVERYTHING as one version. All JDMv7

Keep in mind, this is a suabru motor and trans, everything will work with our usdm set ups, strut and spring combos, Downpipes ect.

Things you need to keep in mind

EJ207's will fit right up to the WRX

Wat the AVCS to work?(cource you do) youll need another harness for that from AI-Performance.com

the JDM v7 motor has forged pistons
single croll
USDM TGV stacks that have been deleted from facotry(V8 207's have diffrent TGV less stacks witch flow a little better.
The heads are not big ported or polished. For v7's(only for the spec-c or RA)(V8 207's have the nicer heads)
Oh yea, I've read SO much about this engine/version and I have no doubts about purchasing that...I am counting down the days till I purchase it....just wanted input on the tranny stuff since that was not what my original intentions were, but when I started looking, a lot of them are grouped together. How do you like the 6spd and why did you end up upgrading after a year of driving? I'm leaning more towards going with just the block and running my 5spd until I need to change it out, or save up the money. This way it leaves me a little room in the budget for other things needed.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gancherov
1. yes. This is the easiest/cheapest solution.
2. yes, and no. getting everything is the easy/right way to do it. If you want to keep your suspension/brakes/wheels you can make it work but you'll need to gather parts from various sources. The easiest IMO would be to buy the whole setup and then swap the CVs to make some "hybrid" axles, then sell off the extra stuff. All of that will take a lot of research, time, and effort to get right.
3. most likely yes, but depends mostly on the turbo. As long as it is an OEM location single scroll turbo it should fit.

Take a drive in a friend's 6-speed if you haven't before. Personally, I don't like the way they drive compared to the 5-speed. However, for motor sport it is highly advantageous to have the diffs and gearing that come in the 6.
How come you didn't like the 6spd? Just trying to see the other side of the story....so many people praise the 6spd for the strength, but you dont hear anything else about them. I typically drive lightly on the transmission (no high RPM drops) and don't intend on doing any drag runs or anything like that. Just needing to replace my wrx motor, and this was the best fit for what I was wanting.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
I got used to driving the 02 wrx 5mt and for me it's a standard to which I compare other cars. I found the two 6mt that I drove to be tougher to find gears and less responsive to drive. I felt like I couldn't sense as much of what the car was doing. Surely a large part of that is the lack of familiarity with the system. It will definitely make the car faster and more predictable in the long run, I just didn't LIKE how it felt.

It's hard to explain, which is why I recommend that you go try one for a bit before going through all the headaches of a swap.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gancherov
I got used to driving the 02 wrx 5mt and for me it's a standard to which I compare other cars. I found the two 6mt that I drove to be tougher to find gears and less responsive to drive. I felt like I couldn't sense as much of what the car was doing. Surely a large part of that is the lack of familiarity with the system. It will definitely make the car faster and more predictable in the long run, I just didn't LIKE how it felt.

It's hard to explain, which is why I recommend that you go try one for a bit before going through all the headaches of a swap.
Yea, my original plan was to just go with the new engine...but then my eyes got big when I saw the 6spd attached to the sales. I learned to drive stick in my 5spd WRX, so I've grown quite attached to the way it drives now, would hate to screw it up with something. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM

Car Info: 00RS
Where are you purchasing your set up from? I've been wanting to get a v7 swap for a while now but I don't know where to get it from..
Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by SubyFriend
Where are you purchasing your set up from? I've been wanting to get a v7 swap for a while now but I don't know where to get it from..
I think that is the hardest part of all this...locating a dealer. I've been going on ebay almost daily and have found a few good looking offers....still pricey with the 6spd tranny and misc goods being included. Other than ebay though, I haven't been able to find a solid spot to look.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 PM

Car Info: 00RS
I know some guy in Sacramento sells clips but he only has v5's ima talk to him and ask him to see if he can get v7's.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:56 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Also talk to IWire services too he's an awesome guy to deal with.

Any translations needed shoot em to me too.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by SubyFriend
I know some guy in Sacramento sells clips but he only has v5's ima talk to him and ask him to see if he can get v7's.
Hmmmmm front clips would be LOVELY....let me know if you find anything out....that was the route i wanted to go, but it was getting too pricey and I still wanted to save some $$ for the tune.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM

Heedz,
You think Iwire would be able to fabricate a JDM harness? The engine I found is in the price range, but no harness. :S This search is bugging me!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by wrecker83
Heedz,
You think Iwire would be able to fabricate a JDM harness? The engine I found is in the price range, but no harness. :S This search is bugging me!
Yeah send in your stock wiring and he should be able to. I can't remember what harness we sent for Pam (Nuclearfiziks) car. Shoot them an email see what his reply is.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM

Went with the block only...got a good deal on it....should be here by next weekend. I've read that my stock USDM harness will mate right up with the JDM block, however AVCS will need to be wired in...Which Im going to try and tackle first. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: JDM V7 STI swap into USDM 03 WRX...