Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

going hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Car Info: 03/05/06 WRX with some STI parts :- P
Question going hybrid?

Well the car is reaching the 105k service range here very soon... and im wondering if it is worth it to spend the possible $700+ or spend the extra money on the 2.5L block...

i currently own a 2003 wrx and i have been looking everywhere spent the last 3 days looking for a thread that will help! but no luck...

what i am looking for is basically a list of everything i would need to swap my 2.0L for a hybrid motor from start to finish!

can anyone help?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
If you still have good compression on the stock block, theres no reason to go with the 2.5 unless you want to then go bigger turbo and tune it for more power.

If you do go 2.5 you will prolly need new heads. The 02/03 are prone to cracking inside/outside the sparkplug holes.

So then if you need new heads, here your next cross road. You could get a full longblock and run AVCS, but then you will need a wireharness and ecu. Otherwise you could still run 2.0 heads and will have slightly higher compression.

You will also want larger injectors than the stock 03. I think bugeyes stock are 420/425cc? I would at least go with STi pinks or the 07 wrx which are 560/565ish cc. (unless you are gunna go big turbo, then you might as well get larger injectors)
Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 AM

well then basically all the wiring for the motor is in the heads and whatnot? so basically if i wanted to go with a hybrid motor im looking at

-short block
-injectors
-turbo
-intercooler
-tune
-... anything else i can add to this list?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
you could run the stock td04 and intercooler for the break in tune (first 1000 miles or so). That might help offset some of the cost right up front. But if you do want more power then the turbo/intercooler will be needed.

Even if you're going to go hybrid, you will prolly need new heads (due to the cracking).

2.0 heads will be "plug-n-play" with what you've got.

2.5 will need the wireing harness/ ecu. Unless you want to go thru the trouble of plugging up the AVCS.

You will need lots of gaskets and prolly all the hoses on the motor will need to be replaced due to age.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
This is in response to the first part of your post; 105k miles is nothing to be worried about. OneManArmy is at 180k, I'm at 128k, others are in the same area and higher without issues.

Also, I haven't been the nicest to my car!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
if it's not broke why pay money to fic it, a build will cost some $$$ just with the newd heads alone will run close to $1000 drive it till it blows lol
Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
Yep it is going to cost big $$$$ to go hybrid trust me i'm only half way to getting mine in, i wish i knew about the 02 head issue before i bought the motor with 02 heads on it already, i might have to send my 05 heads to EQ and get them done up
Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Car Info: 02 Wagon Hybrid GST Tuned 303hp/299tq
^^^ It does cost a lot of money if you want it done right. Along with the block, you will want to get a master gasket kit for peace of mind. You wouldn't want gaskets or seals to leak or fail in your brand new engine. I would also get the head service from EQ. I went with thicker head gaskets only because I ran out of money for my budget after having to buy new heads. It gets the job done, but not ideal if trying to run higher boost levels.
If you search on nasioc, you should find a list of parts that you will need. I say you should start saving your money now if you have decided to go hybrid. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
you could run the stock td04 and intercooler for the break in tune (first 1000 miles or so). That might help offset some of the cost right up front. But if you do want more power then the turbo/intercooler will be needed.

Even if you're going to go hybrid, you will prolly need new heads (due to the cracking).

2.0 heads will be "plug-n-play" with what you've got.

2.5 will need the wireing harness/ ecu. Unless you want to go thru the trouble of plugging up the AVCS.

You will need lots of gaskets and prolly all the hoses on the motor will need to be replaced due to age.
well i know about the heads and planned on going with 04 wrx heads

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
This is in response to the first part of your post; 105k miles is nothing to be worried about. OneManArmy is at 180k, I'm at 128k, others are in the same area and higher without issues.

Also, I haven't been the nicest to my car!
well thats the thing, i believe my main bearings are starting to make noise... so im getting worried, and i figure why replace main bearings and water pump with timing belt and all the 105k service if i plan to do it on another motor and not do it all a second time but just spend the extra money and do it all now.

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
if it's not broke why pay money to fic it, a build will cost some $$$ just with the newd heads alone will run close to $1000 drive it till it blows lol
i cant do that... i absolutely need a car and if i drive it til it blows i probably wont have the money to do what i need to fix it.

Originally Posted by WREXNFX
Yep it is going to cost big $$$$ to go hybrid trust me i'm only half way to getting mine in, i wish i knew about the 02 head issue before i bought the motor with 02 heads on it already, i might have to send my 05 heads to EQ and get them done up
well im happy i know about the head issue but i figure ill start buying parts a little at a time and basically build the motor so that one day i can replace it and be happy as a kid in a candy store when i drop it in and go get it tuned.

Originally Posted by joewagon
^^^ It does cost a lot of money if you want it done right. Along with the block, you will want to get a master gasket kit for peace of mind. You wouldn't want gaskets or seals to leak or fail in your brand new engine. I would also get the head service from EQ. I went with thicker head gaskets only because I ran out of money for my budget after having to buy new heads. It gets the job done, but not ideal if trying to run higher boost levels.
If you search on nasioc, you should find a list of parts that you will need. I say you should start saving your money now if you have decided to go hybrid. Good luck.
Thank you i will put master gasket kit on my list

Thank you all for the ideas and help!
but keep the input coming!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:05 AM

hell i have decided to go with the hybrid motor... I have wanted to go with the hybrid motor for a while now!!! I do not see any reason in the world to do a ton of maintenance on my motor now when i could spend the money on doing the same maintenance on a motor that i have always wanted and at the same time have nearly a brand new motor...

now the only thing is to find a sti short block!!!
Any suggestions?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Car Info: 2006 Subaru WRX
We are doing working on a Hybrid project right now. Here are some things you you want to keep in mind with the build.

1. Have the heads serviced in the process of service have the heads ported and polished
2. Purchase ARP Head Studs, much more durable than the Factory Head bolts plus you never want to reuse OEM Head bolts due to thread stretch issues.
3. Cometic has head gaskets that are recommended for the Hybrid build 1.3mm thick
4. If doing the sti trans swap with the project be sure to get the 6spd flywheel and clutch kit
5. Get a complete Master Kit for the rest of the gaskets
6. Our set up deleted the tumbler valves far as the the wiring harness goes

If you have any questions feel free to contact us we will do our best to help
Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
a stage 1 shortblock from GST is a pretty good deal, normally a stock short block from subaru is around $2900.00 and the GST block has the upgraded pistons . it really depends on how much power you want to make on what you should purchase.
my block is a stock EJ257 and the pistons were replaced with wiseco's and cosworth oil pump everything else is stock, then heads were ported 1mm larger valves and cosworth cams and springs. working on getting the turbo and injectors now and then she's going in.

Originally Posted by Subadubaru
hell i have decided to go with the hybrid motor... I have wanted to go with the hybrid motor for a while now!!! I do not see any reason in the world to do a ton of maintenance on my motor now when i could spend the money on doing the same maintenance on a motor that i have always wanted and at the same time have nearly a brand new motor...

now the only thing is to find a sti short block!!!
Any suggestions?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 AM

Well overall the final product after i have the time and money to put into it would be to put down 350hp... but not sure what turbo i will want to run...

-EWG
-Hybrid motor
-1000cc injectors
-e85 tune
- etc...

that is what i want in the end...
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I would highly recommend a built shortblock for that application. Chances are the stock pistons won't last too long and you will have to do another rebuild. Our basic built shortblock would be a great fit for your power goals. As far as the heads, check out our CNC program for hybrid builds. We've been providing this service for people and shops all over the country and everyone is very happy with the results as compared to some of the other hybrid solutions.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I would highly recommend a built shortblock for that application. Chances are the stock pistons won't last too long and you will have to do another rebuild. Our basic built shortblock would be a great fit for your power goals. As far as the heads, check out our CNC program for hybrid builds. We've been providing this service for people and shops all over the country and everyone is very happy with the results as compared to some of the other hybrid solutions.

Thanks
-- Ed
Thanks Ed
I plan on coming to you for your head CnC service! already had that all planned out. But as for the block what all should i upgrade? just pistons and rods? or is there more you would suggest to upgrade in order for this motor to have these numbers and be reliable?

thanks

Quick Reply: going hybrid?