Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

full usdm sti swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 01:08 PM

Car Info: blue sti
full usdm sti swap

Hello i doing a full sti swap into a impreza coupe,impreza wagon or a legacy sedan. swap parts are coming out of 2004 usdm sti they are sending me the motor, transmission rear end drive shaft 3 spindals 3 axels and the engine wireing harrness was wondering if any one could tell me other parts i sould have like (i know i need one axel and a spindal)do i need the other two wiring harness
and any thing i have the brembos and a sti utec also what do i need ...............

Help me please
Old 03-10-2005, 08:07 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
i believe you need the ECU, and harness for a complete swap :-D
Old 03-11-2005, 02:16 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The more wiring you can get the better, because pulling and replacing a whole harness is easier than tracing and splicing a bunch of them. You need the ECu as well. Also need a 6MT transmission crossmember, shifter, linkage, etc. Also, you need the DCCD controller, G-sensors, a bunch more wiring, and the e-brake because it's got a switch that opens the diff if you pull it. The whole console is helpful, since you need the manual/auto switch and bias roller anyway. with the rear spindles you'll also need 2pot brake calipers, either STi or Brembos. If you go with the Brembo 2pots, I'd also get the Brembo fronts, and if you get the FHI/STi old style 2 pots, I'd get the old style STi 4 pots to maintain brake bias.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:46 AM

Car Info: '07 STI
there are easier ways of making this conversion work, but it might cost more, it might cost less. ultimately, it depends on what you're plans are with the sti motor. if you just feel like having bolt-ons and stuff, you might have a better time with less complication if you just use the shortblock. if you really want to use the complete motor, you will definetly need to tear out the complete wiring of your car and get the complete car harness from the sti and swap it in. *That's a ****-load of work!*

the other way is to just use a WRX intake manifold with the drive by cable throttle, and the hydra engine management system. that's the only way to make sure the AVCS will work since the usdm sti cam pick-ups are different than any other kinds out there. with the hydra ems, you just need to wire up the AVCS solinoids to the JDM section and the hydra will be able to control it.

as for the 6-speed, from what i know, you'll need the brain, sti abs unit, the extra abs sensor wire (not sure which wheel) and the rpm/speed connection to the ecu. there might also be a bunch of other stuff that i might not know about.... my suggestion is to just run it in it's manual default state. supposely, it's still 35F/65R, however, i was told by some subaru expert (who actually knows a lot) that it's still 50/50. but this is the simplist way to install the 6-speed into the car. if you really want the 35/65, get the cusco center lsd when you have some money saved up.

this is information that i've retained from a ton of questions and reading and asking. if i am wrong, please do correct what i've said since i'm doing the same exact thing except it'll be in my WRX.

Hope this helps!! =)
Old 03-11-2005, 02:48 AM

oh, PS: in order for the hydra to work, you'll have to use the WRX harness. it's the simplest way in my opinion.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:26 AM

Good ideas on handling the engine wiring. The 6MT part is a bit off though. Running the 6MT without the DCCD controls defaults it to the 65/35 split, just as if you had it in manual, full rear. This means there is no limited slip action in the center diff preventing the front wheels and rear wheels from spinning at different speeds. At all times, 65% of the torque is going to the rear and 35% to the front; the DCCD just controls how much wheelspin the rears can get relative to the front. That's how I interpreted everything I read when I was researching installing the USDM 6MT into my RS.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:01 AM

i understand what you mean by controling the wheelspin the rear in relation to the front, but in order to do that, it'll need to use those sensors like the g-sensor and motion and all that other stuff by the ebrake like BAN SUVS mentioned before, but speed and rpm will also be needed. from what i know, it's almost imposible to do that since the dccd works in relation to the brakes too. so iono, i guess it's possible to to make the dccd work, but it might mean a lot of time and wiring to be done...
Old 03-11-2005, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by dunnojack
so iono, i guess it's possible to to make the dccd work, but it might mean a lot of time and wiring to be done...
Bingo. I sold my 6MT with all the DCCD stuff to a friend with a bugeye. When we get it all installed, we'll be sure to post up everything we can about what does and doesn't work. At the moment, I'm pretty sure we can get all the info the DCCD controller needs to function. If we can't make it work, we'll post up why not.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:49 PM

sti swap

ok guys i have i motor trans ecu engine wire harness, bulkhead wire harness axels spindels trans wiring with dccd switch g- sensor e-brake assy dash cluster coming and the owner of a set of brembos !!!! what other parts are needed ***

also looking for a 1995 impreza coupe with a nice body ( i have about 1.5 k budget)
Old 03-17-2005, 01:49 PM

also i have rear end and drive shaft
Old 03-17-2005, 04:31 PM

Assuming you aren't missing anything important, I would also try to find an STi master cylinder if you're gonna use the Brembos. With a dinky little L cylinder, you'll have horrible feel and a long pedal. Other than that looks like you're set.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
imprezav8, have much have you spend so far?
Old 03-25-2005, 04:23 PM

usdm sti motor & and transmission with turbo and intercooler 5500 shipped
rear end drive shaft 3 spindels 3 axels dccd control eng wireharness 2000 shipped
insterment panal wireing harness and cluster and fuel stuff 500 shipped
95 legacy ls wagon 750 plus bus tickets to nyc and gas tolls
60 dump stickers to clean out a nasty work space
brembos 1200

i and just about to start this (monday) and need some wireing diagrams would be of help wish me luck thanks a lot guys

Last edited by imprezav8; 03-25-2005 at 04:37 PM.