Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

'98 Outback wagon to rice killer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:24 PM

Car Info: '98 Subaru Outback Limited
'98 Outback wagon to rice killer

I have a '98 Outback Limited with the 2.5L and I want to build a great sleeper. I hear most of the parts are swappable between all late model Subarus and I'm trying to figure out what I can do. I've noticed the STi engine is pretty expensive, even used so I was wondering what the capabilities are of the standard 2.5L block. I was thinking about getting a 2.5L WRX engine and possibly changing out the pistons, headers, etc. Do Impreza trannies fit into a Legacy without issue? Other than the exhaust, is there anything that I can't use that fits on an Impreza?

For the most part, I'm hoping everything will be easily replaced, but I want to get an idea of what is difficult. ie. engine mounts being changed, different tranny positioning, etc.

List of upgrades:

engine to turbo 2.5L
aftermarket turbo
ECU - probably a megasquirt
tranny from auto to 6sp STi or equivalent
struts/strut bars
calipers/rotors/wheels/tires
roll cage possibly
full exhaust
Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 PM

Car Info: 95 RHD WRX
Well seems like you want a lot of power. I can't comment on fitment into legacy outbacks but I can say that the JDM wrx motor is a lot better investment than a USDM. You can probably pick up a v2 w/ tranny for the same price as a usdm wrx

and jdm> usdm

better heads, better cams, bigger turbo....a lot better out the door. It'll save you some effort building the wrx to those capibilities. 260ps out the door stock.