Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Are WRXs fast in a straight line? (thinking of buying a used WRX)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
You can build an eight-second CRX for what it would cost you to build a twelve-second WRX, assuming that you buy the WRX used. However, at the end of that $20,000, one will be an unstreetable race car and the other will be a turbo sedan that can still get groceries. It is all what kind of car you want to have at the end of the day.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:16 AM

Car Info: 04 STI
I think WRX's are fast enough. Once you do some nice mods you will really begin to enjoy the turbo boxer even more. The WRX is a well rounded car, which is a good mix between traction, speed, driveability and more.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by sLeak
Sorry, I ment to say I don't want to be dissapointed with how much the car reacts to mods. Like, I don't want to buy part after part and barely feel any diffrence. Thats how I should have stated my original question, does the WRX react good to engine mods? I kno there is a decent power increas after getting a uppipe/downpipe/tbe but what about after that? Are there any more big bang for the buck mods?

If I had a low 13 second car I would be far from dissapointed, let alone a 11 - 12 second car.

And I don't like srt's because they are they have pretty bad handeling, are FWD, and i have had bad experiences with american cars. If I don't get a WRX, I'm going to be getting a 240sx and swapping in a sr20det

On the WRX approximately how much does an individual have to spend to get into high 12's ? what about low 12's?
Yeah, SRTs are nothing more than turds with turbos, really. I can't even begin to tell you how many of these idiots in SRTs I run into every day that will pull up next to me and give me the good ol' "bov-check." I basically refer to it as the "a$$hole alert." I don't even hesitate to disrespect these fools by just rolling my windows up on'em and not paying them any mind.

The latest and greatest SRT run-in happened last weekend when I was out for a leisurely drive heading towards some wooded areas. This SRT idiot came flying up behind me, tailgating, then dropping back, mashing his gas again, and riding up my *** again. This went on for about 2-3 miles, and then I slowed down and turned off the road on to a twisty one. I signaled for him to follow. Captain Neon obliged and decided he would try riding up my *** once again. It wasn't long before we hit some pretty tight twisties and he started fading quickly. I was taking turns with nary an issue, and waving to him, so I was basically driving one-handed at times through the turns. Meanwhile, he was fighting with both of his hands to keep up. Eventually, he had faded so far back that I had to lift off the gas and wait for him to catch up.

Sure, those little Neons may go fast in a straight line, but you get what you pay for. Neons are throw-away cars; SRTs included. Those piles of crap won't last longer than about 60,000 miles.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:27 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by excel
I think WRX's are fast enough. Once you do some nice mods you will really begin to enjoy the turbo boxer even more. The WRX is a well rounded car, which is a good mix between traction, speed, driveability and more.
I agree. I drove my car pretty much stock for almost a year (just wheels and tires)
before I started modding. Drive it for a while, then change what you feel could be improved
Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 PM

Car Info: '02 wrx
Originally Posted by subie OCD
How much are you buying it for and how much money do you have for parts??
I got the car. It is a burgundy 2002 WRX 5spd, 60k miles. I got it for $9000.

Is 60k a lot for a WRX? I've heard Subbies are pretty reliable and long lastin if treated right.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:23 PM

Wow, $9K....salvaged title? 60K is nothing if it was taken care of.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Yeah, the tranny is what you have to watch out for, especially on the 02. If the car has been driven responsibly and maintained it should be fine. Has the owner had the 30 and 60k services done?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
Yeah, the tranny is what you have to watch out for, especially on the 02. If the car has been driven responsibly and maintained it should be fine. Has the owner had the 30 and 60k services done?

The car is perfect as far as I know. My dad is a independent car dealer, and the auction he was at, nobody wanted it so thats why he got for cheap. The title is clean. The only bad thing is some of the body has been painted so it might have been in a small accident, nothign big.. no frame damage, engine runs perfect.

And im not worried about the tranny, I don't think ill take it to the track that much, probably a couple times so I don't think it will be launched hard very much at all. I think im going to keep and do some simple things... UP/DP/CB is 1st on my list and i already got $1k for that. How much does labor cost to get a UP/DP and CB installed usually?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
UP/DP/CB is pretty easy to install. Check out the instructions on Scoobymods. Save money and DIY.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:30 PM

a EVO suits your needs. evo 9 even more.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by intence
a EVO suits your needs. evo 9 even more.
He already bought a wrx for $9K, why would he sell it for an evo?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:11 PM

OK i knew it was too good to be true...

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...15#post1495815