Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

We all hate paying for gas. Get more for your galloN!~

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:30 PM

Car Info: 2017 STI
We all hate paying for gas. Get more for your galloN!~

i ran across this posting in another forums and i thought it would be beneficial if i share it with i-club members since our H4s/H6s enjoy drinking gas as much as we enjoy our cold beers!

"Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up - most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money."
Old 03-23-2008, 11:07 PM

Car Info: White 05 STI and Silver 05 FXT
i was just talking about this earlier with my girlfriend. thanks for the info.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:09 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
me and my friends were chatting about this, good info
Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
ah this info seems bogus. First off, the ground temperature actually remains fairly constant compared to the surface temperature. The second myth I can't really argue because I don't have anything to measure flow or vapor, so that one I'll let slide

The third myth doesn't even seem to make any sense. What how does the floating roof, a half full tank, and the service trucks relate to one another?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:03 PM

Car Info: 2017 STI
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
ah this info seems bogus. First off, the ground temperature actually remains fairly constant compared to the surface temperature. The second myth I can't really argue because I don't have anything to measure flow or vapor, so that one I'll let slide

The third myth doesn't even seem to make any sense. What how does the floating roof, a half full tank, and the service trucks relate to one another?
#1: well, i think he said one degree change is quite a change... maybe like the house effect *i made that name up.* the sun warms up your house during the day, so its warm in evening, and its cold in the morning when you wake up because of the chilled air outside at night. So, even if the underground temp changes by two degrees, it could be a great change. I'm not a scientist, but that sounds reasonable.

#2: ever wonder why there are two or three speeds to choose from on the pump handle? I certainly think about that everytime.. *im weird.. i know* anyways, i believe the fast speed are for people that just wants to hurry-up-and-go, while the slower speeds are seriously just to lower the amount of vapors in your tank.

#3: I seriously thought the author was crazy like you did until i looked it up. I'll let someone else explain it. But, here's little snippets of it.

Title:
Oil storage tank equipped with a floating bed type inner floating roof
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent 7225942
Link to this page:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7225942.html
Abstract:
The present invention relates to an oil storage tank equipped with a floating bed type inner floating roof. The oil storage tank structure has a tank body and an inner floating roof which lies on the liquid surface inside the tank. The inner floating roof includes filling bags and a resilient sealing tube. The filling bags, separated by isolation sheets, are filled with floating plates. The resilient sealing tube is disposed around the entire circumference of the filling bags, and is in contact with and biased against the inner wall of the tank body.

Title:
Full contact floating roof
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent 7240804
Link to this page:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7240804.html
Abstract:
A device and method of making a full contact floating roof for use in covering fluid bodies, such as storage tanks containing hydrocarbon fluids, allowing ease of construction, high integrity, and low maintenance cost.

Crazy stuff does exist in our worlds now !!!

He mixed up the two items in #3 i believe. there should have been a #4.

#4: i do strongly *for a fact* believe in the half-tank he talked about. I also have an old 85 pickup thats sensitive to changes in temp and oil levels. Basically, I feel and hear the change in driving performance when every little thing is different on the truck; even a quarter of a quart loss of motor oil. When its tank hits about right under the halfway-line... there seems to be "less gas," for my gallon. Notice the amount of vapors that come out when you open the tank cap; when you have a nearly empty tank compared to half-full tank? (the wHOOOSSSHHH sound, no not BOV -__-") thats where my liquid gas went... turned into vapors. There is a significantly less amount of vapors when i tank up with approx. half-full tank.

Hope that clears things up MBasile.

Last edited by 2.5Blk; 03-24-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile

+1...bogus.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by glenspen
+1...bogus.
..Reread what the op posted and then think about it again. Its basic physics pretty much.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Here is the snopes article on those tips.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

They say most are unprovable or such a slight savings that its not worth your time.

Personally, I tend to agree that its not worth it.

EDIT: Good quote at the bottom

The bottom line is that there are much easier and better ways of improving the efficiency of your car (and thus of saving you money at the pump) than the tips outlined above. Particularly important is proper maintenance, including engine tune-ups, wheel alignments, tire pressure checks, and filter replacement. Mileage can also be improved by removing from the car little-used equipment that adds weight or increases drag (e.g., sporting gear, tools, roof racks/carriers). Driving habits are especially important: jackrabbit stops and starts eat up extra fuel, as does driving at higher speeds. All in all, the simple habit of engaging in planning and combining multiple trips into one excursion will likely save the average motorist far more money (and time) than all four of the above tips combined.

Last edited by Nick Koan; 03-24-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM

Car Info: 07 WRX stage 2/ 05 Yamaha R6
thanks for the tips...I knew about the first part about gettin gas in the morning or evening..but had no idea about keepin it on the low trigger setting..
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally Posted by TSNWrX07
thanks for the tips...I knew about the first part about gettin gas in the morning or evening..but had no idea about keepin it on the low trigger setting..
Low-speed trigger setting was not created to be more economical for motorists. There are usually different settings because of the different rates of flow from different gas pumps. Pump fuel too fast and the overflow will spill down the outside of your car before the nozzle mechanism can shut off the pump. Pumping fuel too fast also makes it difficult for those motorists who like to put in a specific dollar amount instead of just filling up like us normal folks.

Read the snopes article linked by the Nick Koan above your post.

EDIT: 2.5Blk, thank you for posting - I know you were trying to pass along helpful tips.

My first thought after reading what you copied and pasted in your post was that it was an urban legend concocted by some guys sitting up in a college dorm and thinking, "now what can we come up with that sounds plausible, but need have no basis in fact?"
Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 05 cgm imp
doesnt hurt to try
Old 03-25-2008, 10:45 AM

Car Info: '04 WRX
another thing to think about in this time of gas crisis is that as consumers we are pretty much screwed, and will buy the gas, whatever the price is. So how do we boycott propperly to effectively force the gas companies hand in lowering prices.

I read an article (I'll try to find it) that stated the way to force the price down is NOT to do "don't buy gas today" because of course everyone bum rushes it tomorrow, the solution is choosing your station to purchase gas wisely. We need to hurt the wallets of the correct people.

If we all stopped buying gas at the big name stations (exxon/mobile) it would hurt their wallets. and we would essentially be forcing their hand.

I'll find the article, the article states it in a much better way
Old 03-25-2008, 12:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by pwn
..Reread what the op posted and then think about it again. Its basic physics pretty much.
Morgan, look up geothermal warming. Its a way of keeping a large building a consistent temperature with the help of the constantly temperate ground.

Oh, and this is not directed at Morgan, but another overall comment on the original myths. When this was first posted (or at least the first time I saw it) I tried pumping gas on the middle speed and it made no difference.