Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Selling a non-smog legal vehicle (in CA)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:07 AM

Car Info: '77 MGB
Selling a non-smog legal vehicle

A simple question: How do I go about selling a non-smog legal vehicle?

I have been unable to find anything on the CA DMV site. I once heard about something called (selling as) "parts only."

I much prefer to do this legally. Note: The car is a '77 MGB (purchased new in '77).

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bill Hansen
Fremont, CA
Old 07-21-2006, 04:31 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Bill, this is a Subaru Impreza-oriented message board so we probably can't help you with anything specific to your MGB, but I'll try to address your main concern.

Since CA law states that it is the seller's responsibility to provide a new smog certificate at the time of sale, I don't think it's possible for any buyer to be able to register the vehicle without footing the bill for repairs to bring the emissions levels into compliance and paying for a smog test themselves. Cars are still sold in CA without the seller providing a smog certificate but it then falls on the buyer to provide one to DMV. A smog certificate is a definite requirement if the vehicle is to be driven on public roads.

The only exception I know of is to file for non-operation. This means that the vehicle cannot be driven or parked on public roads. Even while parked, a vehicle must display current registration stickers on the license plate and must maintain insurance to be parked on public roads. If you park the vehicle in a garage or on private land, then you can do as you please.

You might also make an appointment with DMV and just ask the vehicle registration person if there is another alternative method to sell your car. I'm just not aware of one.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-21-2006, 05:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder

The only exception I know of is to file for non-operation. This means that the vehicle cannot be driven or parked on public roads. Even while parked, a vehicle must display current registration stickers on the license plate and must maintain insurance to be parked on public roads. If you park the vehicle in a garage or on private land, then you can do as you please.

Pretty much summed up what i had to offer.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 PM

Car Info: '77 MGB
Thanks to both of you . . . I had already planned to go the non-op route. That should work; It leaves the smog certification ball in the buyer's court (note the tennis - "10s" reference). I intend to be completely up-front about the smog issue when selling.

Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:12 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
The car is going to be smog exempt in 2007 which is just a few months away.

That's the 30 year mark.