Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Omfg

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:57 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX Wagon
Omfg

Name:  Esprit.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  26.8 KB

i drove this yesterday...

ok, so the details...

its not really that roomy inside. the parking brake is on the same side of the driver as it is in the fiero (in between the driver's side door and seat) - its a bit weird. it has power assisted steering, which is very obvious at low speeds. the pedals are INCREDIBLY close together. in fact, if you're not using the clutch, you're foot is basically resting ON the clutch pedal, as the clutch pedal rests about 1 inch away from the front driver's side wheel well (driving experience with the MKI Mr2 helps here... a lot). the Esprit that i drove was the 4 cylinder turbo version... MY GOD...

despite the car being a bit heavy (not nearly as nimble feeling as any generation Mr2), it moved REALLY well. i am uncertain if it uses the 2.0 or 2.2 engine (Wikipedia does not give exacts), but the turbo becomes very useful around 2500rpm on fairly light throttle (remember, it aint my car, so i cant thrash it).

Bill (the owner) told me that he had only ever driven it to 80mph, and once (on accident) to 90mph. at 80mph, he felt that the car was slightly unstable and uncomfortable to him.

so, here is how the events transpired. i saw the car in front of a shop, walked into the shop and began talking to the only guy in the shop. we began talking about the car and i asked if it was the 4 or 8 cylinder... he was a bit surprised by my knowledge of the car. so, after explaining to me about the unsteady feeling, he ASKED me to drive the car............. YEAH. needless to say, i was a bit surprised.

so, then he went into the details of the closeness of the pedals and that i might not be able to see out of the back. he was absolutely correct. i could BARELY see out the back and the pedals were damned close together.

he wasnt sure where a 'decent' road would be that wasn't thrashed. so, i headed onto the freeway (i have ***** and i'm stupid, but i am NOT doing 80mph on roads with speed limits of 45mph or less). i was careful and waited until i had an open shot. i slowly pressed on the gas and felt the turbo come to life... WOW. its such a smooth and happy feeling in that car.

in short order, VERY short order at that, i was already doing 80mph. Bill even said 'wow... you're going 80mph already...' i then called out 'and there's 90mph.... and 100mph... and 110mph...' Bill later told me that the its transmission limited to 170mph. i was NOT about to test that.

so, anywho... the power steering is VERY slight and only barely helps you move the wheel, but gives more feedback as per road conditions that any other car with power steering i've ever felt. WOW.

his brakes have some SERIOUS issues. his ABS light was constantly flickering. after sandra and i got home, i did some research and emailed Bill about what i had found the issue to be with the ABS.

so, needless to say, i'd love to get one. and, unlike the Mr2, the turbo in this car felt natural. it didnt feel like it was an after thought. even off boost, the Esprit had enough torque to move without any fuss. i did NOT push it thru any turns at all, so i cant comment on its 'on boost in turn' performance...

but, that chassis (despite being a 1995) was very precise and very sharp. it did have small rattles, but its to be expected from such a tight chassis... stuff is going to rattle and flex.

so, lets start a fund 'get joel his lotus fund.'

and the guy just emailed me back. looks like i MIGHT be doing the work on his brakes and he might ask me to drive the car some more, to see if it feels stable...

OMFG... what the hell?! stuff like this does not happen to me...
Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Car Info: BMW 525i E39
looks like u had fun ... i wanna drive one of those also
Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
British engineering at its best
Old 07-15-2008, 03:17 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by chinoyboi
Lotus is British? I thought it was Italian?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:21 PM

Lotus is British. the founder, Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman, passed away back in 1982... but, his idea of 'light weight to compensate for the lack of huge power' still holds true to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Chapman

and yes, i had an absolute blast driving it... cant wait to drive it again...
Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
You should test drive a Lotus Exige or Exige S or Elise SC, it's like an MR2 SC on a diet.

Anyways, if you need more details on the Esprite there is GGLC. Not sure if the Esprit owner is a member but lots of local info and help can be attained there.

http://www.gglotus.org/

They also host great track day events for the more experienced and allow more freedom to drive.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:53 PM

I've been a passenger in a Lotus Elise. WOW... The sheer amount of feedback you get (yes, even as a passenger) is a bit overwhelming initially. It is such a nimble and responsive car. It tells you every detail of the terrain you're driving over, its absolutely mind warping.

A while ago, I watched a 2 1/2 hour video on the making of Project 111S, which was later released as the Elise.

The Esprit holds a very close 3rd in my heart to the Elise/Exige... The Super 7 being 1st.

I don't think Bill will want me to re-work his brakes, as the bed-in process is very harsh and requires a LOT of abuse to the engine for a few short periods... Not only that, I doubt he'll want to see and smell his brakes smoking. I don't think he'll ever use the brakes like I do either.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6

joltdudeuc > not12listen

Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by chinoyboi
hehe, yeah old Lotuses are like any other brit cars, as the saying goes..

"If it still runs, sell it!"

yeah glad you had fun but dont u dare go looking for one unless your a complete masochist
Old 07-15-2008, 06:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Haha... I was dead set on picking up an '89 SE in pearl white at that fancy car dealer on Franklin in SF but didn't end up getting it because... I could not sit in the driver's seat with my helmet on, and I could barely get my size 12's in the pedal box. I was pretty bummed yet simultaneously glad to not have to muck with British electrics. Would still love to drive one some day. I will bring the teeny shoes (gotta use the Piloti's to drive my Z).
Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 PM

L ots
O f
T rouble
U sually
S erious

IIRC, they were 2.2 litre by 1995.

Lotus have been turbocharging cars for a long time so they tend to be pretty seamless. They achieved > 100bhp per litre in a production car in the late 80s! Likewise, their chassis' are known for handling from their F1 heritage.

Whereas running costs are going to be high, they are probably no worse than a Porsche and cheaper than a Ferrari, and it looks just as exotic IMO.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Thats awesome, i'd love to drive that thing!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 PM

Car Info: BMW 525i E39
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc

joltdudeuc > not12listen

hahahahaha OWNED
Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 PM

Car Info: 06 GDB dirty white
lol bring it out to concord on friday! ;D
Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
The Esprit is one of my favoritisters cars ever...... never even been in one

Quick Reply: Omfg