Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Need help with a ticket.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:12 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX
Need help with a ticket.

Hey guys,

So back in July I received a bogus speeding ticket stating I was doing 95mph in a 65mph zone (I-680 s). I had seen the cop before I past him, and checked my speed. 68mph. The flow of traffic was doing about 70 - 72 and I was in the 3rd lane closest to the carpool lane. I merge to the right and get off at my exit. Suddenly a CHP officer pulls up behind me (on the off ramp) and flips his lights and siren on. He asks for me to pull over (making me illegally turn right when I was in a left hand turn only lane against traffic) and states I was doing 95mph.

I fight the ticket using help through ticketassassin.com, Stating that it was 8pm on a Friday, heavy traffic, and that the officer had clearly stated that there were 2 cars speeding and that since he clocked me frmo a stop at a on ramp, he could easily have been detecting the speed of any of the 4 lanes. Also, since he did not have his lights on or siren until AFTER he hit the on ramp he was in violation since he is not allowed to exceed the speed limit without those 2 things. So either he had to have been speeding (which would void my ticket) or neither of us were speeding and the ticket should be dismissed.

Here's the problem and a few questions.

1.) I get the letter from the court back stating I'm guilty of violating cvc 22349 (a) and that now they want to suspend my license for 30 days (wtf) and though they said I was able to attend traffic school before, now I am denied traffic school.

My question is, can they suspend my license for this minor infraction (not exceeding 100mph)?

Why is it that before I was allowed to take traffic school, but now I'm denied?

I'm a little mad that I have a $391.00 ticket plus the $25.00 for the ticketassassin (which didn't even friggin work)

I drive to and from work and school every day about 60 miles and can't have a suspended license, it's my only means of transportation.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kevin
Old 10-25-2007, 04:01 PM

Car Info: 2005 Impreza WRX STi
The best bet is to hire a lawyer... I once got 2 speeding tickets here in NYC within a 3 months period.... and a 3rd one not too shortly after (3 tickets in one year ) ... My license was going to be suspended after the 3rd ticket (13 points on the license)..... I hired a lawyer, stayed in court for like 10 mins with the lawyer... and the judge reduced the charges to just paying the fines (no points off my license....which saved me from getting suspension) It is a little pricy ( i paid 300 bucks for the lawyer plus "x" amount of fine), but i did manage to keep my license.....
Old 10-25-2007, 04:03 PM

Car Info: 2005 Impreza WRX STi
one more thing, i am not sure what the law is where you live, but here in NYC, you can at least try to get the charges reduce to a restricted license (only allow to drive to work, school, etc... only at certain time of the day)...
Old 10-25-2007, 04:46 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX
I could get a restricted license, this would be my 2nd point on the license (I had a previous accident on old car) but I've NEVER been pulled over before, I really don't drive fast at all because I don't like my insurance rates rising so quickly. I also had a friend in the car and I would never risk someone elses life in my car like that.

I don't know why they wouldn't have told me before hand I would get my license suspended. They just added that to my case, and now I'm not eligible for traffic school? If I've had a clean record there should be no reason why I can't.

I might get a lawyer, but I might just see if I can opt for community service to take off the suspension, and plead for traffic school based on good merit.

Kevin